Thread: Question for you . . .

Smile Question for you . . .

Question for you CNC router guys . . .

My luck as of today has been good . . . as of now I still have a job . . but I know the end is soon . . .

When I do become "unemployed" my intention is to buy or build a CNC router . . . and a building to house it . .

My background is such that I feel confident about the building of a machine and the operation of one . . I work in AutoCAD for a living now, so the drawing part and the computers does not scare me . .

After many phone calls and visits to sign shops in my area, I have determined there is only one, maybe two guys operating a CNC Router in the sign business . . .

My question to you guys is, how much true skill do I need to make completed signs. I know it does not end when I pull it off the CNC table . .

Are there any books or courses available, maybe on DVD as to how to do routed signs from start to finish . . . ?

I realize that just because a guy can use a hammer and operate a Skill Saw does not mean he can build a house . . .

I just want a honest opinion as to what it takes to do these beautiful routed signs . . .

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

P.S. I'm looking at MECHMATE, ShopBOT & EZ- ROUTER or a build it myself incorporating the best of all . .
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Question for you .........

Steven,

Before doing this you might want to go to the "ENGRAVERS FORUM" here on the SMC, and read the thread titled "SETING UP IN A MALL KIOSK" There is some absolutely outstanding advice in there about setting up a laser engraving business. Read and heed. Good luck!

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

steven, with a background in cad the software will come easy to you, i have had great success with aspire and now use it to produce signage for several shops in my area, kinda just depends on the desire and the goal!

i like this one these guys (signs101.com) are the real deal when it comes to signs, might want to study their sites!!

my first job with the router was an apartment complex 101,102,201,202,garage,pool 2d work in duna board

jim
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 07-07-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed hot link to external forum

if you want to make money from a cnc router you should buy one. one that is reliable and can handle the load you will be putting on it. the way you draw now and the way you draw to cut it on a cnc is a bit different. you will still need to learn whatever software the machine comes with to make your signs with and toolpaths. but that should not be hard. plan on weeks of training and months of errors. or should that be years?? nothing can screw up as fast or as easy as a cnc router.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve,
    You have received some good advice here and you'll find more on cnczone.com. It is to the cnc world that SMC is to... everything else... Not that the cnc forum here isn't great, because it is, it's just that cnczone caters only to cnc and it is probably the most active cnc dedicated forum you'll find. I built my router with the help of the folks over there and I honestly couldn't have done it without their help.

Gary

i have alway's enjoy'ed this as well

http://www.signsneversleep.typepad.com/

shopbots forum has an entire forum devoted to signs

jim

It takes a machine, good software, design and creative ability, knowledge of materials, painting knowledge, installation ability and a way to get customers. Many times sign purchasers for developments and the like, have people they know and trust doing the work, it is sometimes difficult to get them to give you a chance. Once you get going though, that 3rd party recommendation is very effective. I use a CNC router and a laser to produce what I do, so if I can do it, so can you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation