Thread: Help with a Rabbet plane!

Help with a Rabbet plane!

I have a record 78 rabbet plane I picked up some time ago and I have never been able to get a 90-degree shoulder with it. The plane seems sound and the blade is sharp so I think the problem is with my technique. Any of you rabbet plane users want to share any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Try checking the fence to bed angle with a square. Use more pressure down then laterally so the bed rests on the work
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

The normal difficulty with one of those is a rebate that slopes downward to the outside, so will presume that is the case. It might help to start the rabbet with the plane tilted slightly toward the face of the board, i.e. lift the outside edge up a bit when starting the rabbet. If the slitter is installed, it may also be a hair to two deep and needs to be retracted slightly.

Another oft seen problem is a stepped wall on the rabbet caused by not having the iron protrude ever so slightly past the body of the plane.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer
    Another oft seen problem is a stepped wall on the rabbet caused by not having the iron protrude ever so slightly past the body of the plane.
    It is good to hone the vertical edge of the blade as well and make sure it is square to the main edge.

Good point on that.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.