Thread: Refinishing Red Oak Coffee Table Top

Refinishing Red Oak Coffee Table Top

I realized I messed some things up with my waterbased polycrylic finish and decided to strip it.

The stripping went pretty well and I have since sanded off the stain from the top of the table. The problem I am noticing is that in the pores of the grain, there still seems to maybe be some finish in there. If I rub my finger across the grain, it come out stringy, almost like rolling dough.

I am planning on using filler for the grain, but worry about the current finish that is in the grain. How should I go about fixing this? I am worried about your suggestions as there is a lot of grain I have to contend with!

I plan on ultimately filling the grain, restaining, and then finishing the top with waterbase polycrylic again, sans mistakes!

Hi Adam,

Stripper should remove the finish from the pores... if not, reapply the stripper.

Sanding is a poor way to remove the finish...it gets "sanded" down into the pores and will adversley affect the staining and finishing process...

I find it better, especially on red oak, to color the wood with stain or dye; then, mix you grain filler, adding the color you want, then filling with the pre-colored filler.

Trying to color dried filler to look like wood, instead of stained or dyed filler is WAY TOO MUCH trouble.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take your advice with the filler when I get to that point.

Right now I find myself stuck with the filler in the pores. By putting down the stripper, I am sure it is getting into the grain and softening it up, but using just a scraper will not pull it out of the pores. Would you recommend a brush? Any tips for getting it out of the recesses?

What stripper did you use? A stripper containining methylene chloride should get all of the prior finish off if you follow the directions on the can. Red oak is a deeply pored wood and your waterborne finish has become deeply embedded. It may take some brushing with a stiff bristled plastic brush after letting the stripper set for 15 minutes. Use small scrapers or chisels to remove finish from corners etc.
    Howie.........

I am not at home right now to check, but I can say it was an orange gel type that smelled like citrus

It worked very well for the stuff on top, but not in the pores. I'll try grabbing a brush and scrubbing the grain.

Since it's oak you will want to stay away from a wire brush... Brass would be OK.

Howie, will the plastic brush hold up with the stripper? I've had plastic knives melt.

Get a real stripper; one with methylene chloride as Howie has suggested. The new "green" strippers don't have the firepower needed for some finishes and fillers.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Well I thought I'd give you guys a quick update as to my progress. I used the gel again as I wasn't able to make it out to the store to purchase anything different.

I scrubbed with a plastic brush after letting it sit for 30 minutes. I was most aggressive in the center of the table rather than the edges where I was experiencing the stripper spraying off the edges.

Because the table was still somewhat wet last night from the efforts with the stripper, I just hoped that I solved my issue. This morning I was able to see that the efforts in the center were well worth it, but the edges still had junk in the pores.

I am going to try again this evening just on the parts where I feel that I have missed it.

Overall if I had to do it again, the plastic brush was well worth it and cleaned up pretty well too. No melting experienced.

The plastic bristled brush I use is made for, and sold as, a "stripping brush". I've used it for years and I only use a methylene chloride stripper. It should hold up.

I agree that the so called "safe" or "green" strippers are less effective than the ones containing MC. They take a lot longer and do no do a good job getting finish out of the deep pores. They are also quite bit less effective with poly varnish finishes.
    Howie.........

Well that interesting... I used a CHEAP plastic "putty knife" and it melted.
    Scott