Thread: felt lining in box?

felt lining in box?

I was looking at making a momemto/keepsake box for my grandmother-in-law, and wanted to pad the inside some with a nice felt lining. I haven't done anything similar, so was looking how others on here may have secured the felt. I would figure a glue in, but maybe make a small 1/8 thick panel lining with felt already glued on it pre-cut/installation, that way I dont have to mess with glueing it in there after i've assembled the box?

Thanks in advance.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    I was looking at making a momemto/keepsake box for my grandmother-in-law, and wanted to pad the inside some with a nice felt lining. I haven't done anything similar, so was looking how others on here may have secured the felt. I would figure a glue in, but maybe make a small 1/8 thick panel lining with felt already glued on it pre-cut/installation, that way I dont have to mess with glueing it in there after i've assembled the box?

Thanks in advance.
    I just use clear drying craft glue to secure a cut to size piece of suede or felt..... better a 16th to long than a 16th to short.

I've had the best luck with wrapping the lining (I usually use velvet or some other satiny material) around cardboard and gluing it to the cardboard. Then I glue the cardboard to the inside of the box. I always do the 4 sides first and the bottom last for nice seams.

Blog Entries
    I've tried it several different ways and have found that securing the felt to the bottom piece prior to mounting it in the box was the best looking way to get it done. Simply spray the adhesive on the hardboard and lay it on the felt and then trim it up. This, of course means that you either have to finish the box prior to assembly, or protecting the felted bottom during the finishing process.

I can never get "perfect" straight cuts when I try applying the felt after the box is finished.... but, that's probably just me.

Have you considered flocking?

alex,

I use this stuff for boxes. http://www.donjer.com/suedetex/index.htm I buy mine from a Woodcraft store, or you can order it.

I found it very easy to use and looks like I made perfect cuts in the corners. Don't know about the wearabilty(not a real word) but it has done great for what I have used it for and looks great. It comes in two different types of fibers.

Ya just "paint" the inside, add a couple spoons full of fibers, hold something on the top and shake 'er up.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    A simple but slightly less elegant way to line the box is to visit the local craft store. They sell adhesive backed felt which can be cut to size with the backing in place for trial fitting. Then once the size is perfec you peel off the backing and stick it in place.

You can also carefully line the box with painters tape and spray 3M adhesive onto the bottom to stick down the lining material of your choice.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I just used a flocking kit for the first time on a jewelry box. It did a great job. I have always used sheets of felt in the past. It has a very clean and professional look. I ordered mine at leevalley.com

Thumbs up Felt lining

Rockler has a peel and stick, limit to four colours. but it's easy to measure & cut, before assembly .

Felt

If you are still watching this thread. I built a few jewelery boxes out of walnut, cherry, and curly maple. I went to JoAnn fabrics and bought 2yds. of black velvet and some polyfill for padding. Velvet gives it a luxerous look. The woman there recommended it while I was looking for...felt. I used a 3/16" router bit to cut the grooves. Like others have stated, it would have to be pre-finsihed, the inside. Be carefull to mask all glueing surfaces. When you put it rogether I used some "tacky" glue on the bottom 1/8" of the 1/8" hard board and inserted it all in the grooves while glueing up. None of them have ever came loose.
    Why not consider becoming a Contributor today!

I've had good luck with this stuff...

https://www.voguefabricsstore.com/st...9&cat=0&page=1

It's not quite felt, but if you wrap it around a piece of craft board (really thick poster board) you get a really nice fit, look, and it's Anti-Tarnish so it's great for jewelry boxes.

RYan