Thread: Table design idea - critiques please

Table design idea - critiques please

Hello all,

For my next project I want to make a relatively simple table. This will be my first piece put on display at a local furniture store for sale to the general public - no specific client. I wanted to make something that is somewhat simple but still unique and eye catching that would have some more general appeal. I'd like to do a floating top piece at some point, but they already have a few at the store and they haven't moved yet, and I think those aren't for everyone.

I've done a similar pattern on the ends before and I really like the effect and how it turned out, and I think it brings something nice and unique to the piece.

My current plan for the top is curly maple veneer with walnut edgeband that is beveled at about 30*. The rest of the frame is to be hard maple, except for the design on the side which will be walnut.

Feel free to tell me what you think, and I really welcome suggestions such as the size of the design on the side and placement of it.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or maybe this - I think it highlights the design better.

Matt,

I like the design and proportion of this table. The only thing I would be concerned about is the high contrast of the walnut to maple. Myself, I like contrast, but think it might be a little too much for some. I'm thinking strictly in how easily you can sell this. Cherry and maple might be a little milder.

I think your design is versatile enough that you have many possibilities using different wood combinations and even varying the dimensions for different table types. The trick is to be able to make this and offer it at a good price.

Earl
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

It's a pretty table, but you might think about where it would go in a home. If it is a hall table, perhaps it should be taller. If it is a sofa table, perhaps it should be longer. If it is a side table in a living room, perhaps it should be shorter. At its current dimensions, the only place it seems to fit is as a sideboard in a dining room or office; 30" tall is a common height there.

Here it is with cherry. Earl, I thought the same thing with the contrast of maple and walnut. I would like it but it might be too much for some.

Jamie, one of the suggestions that I got from the store is that "smaller" pieces seem to move very quickly. Do you think upping the size from 50" long to 60", and maybe increasing the height to 34" would make it more versitile? I wouldn't want to go too tall to rule it out from a possible use, such as a sofa table - what do you think the tallest I should go is?

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!

oops, now with the attachment...

I think walnut and maple make a brilliant contrast. Your color choice is spot on (for me).

Are your legs segmented up near the apron area or is that an illusion?

The only critique I'd give is that the aprons feel a little thick to me. On a shorter table, that's not an issue since the top covers it. But if it's a hall or sofa table, I'd make them more delicate

Thanks Shawn! I guess it really is just a matter of opinion on the contrasting woods.

The legs aren't segmented. They are one piece and will be M&T joints with the apron. The lines you see, which probably led to your question, are where the taper starts for the inside of the leg.

I reduced the apron size from 4" tall to 3", and removed the lines on the legs, and have it in both walnut and cherry.

Keep the ideas coming!

And here's the table 10" longer and 3" higher.

Matt,

I liked your first design. As to dimensions I think you're in the right neighborhood. I wouldn't obsess over the dimensions so much as the proportions and how they relate to each other. I just measured a Manufactured foyer/sofa table that is only 28" tall with a top that's 56"x16"
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

How about combining the cherry and the walnut?
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"