Thread: Packaging your products

Packaging your products

Hello all

I was curious what everyone does for packaging of their products. I'm not talking about large production items but rather the smaller one up, or maybe up too 40 items. It would be nice to have a nice package but the cost so far is prohibitive. Thinkin if I put some items in smaller stores it would be nice to have a package.
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

I buy various size and shape boxes from Uline. They make a lot of sizes in a nice white finish which are not too expensive at all. If you got ambitious, you could engrave them, but I usually make stickers or decals.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I use Uline as well and have also used www.theboxdepot.com.

Clear acetate boxes are fairly cheap and show off the product well. You can then print up an insert. Use clear round stickers to seal it shut. Use clear gummy dots to hold the product in place. Attached is a box/insert for a product I used to manufacture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 07-17-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I use Uline as well and have also used www.theboxdepot.com.

Clear acetate boxes are fairly cheap and show off the product well. You can then print up an insert. Use clear round stickers to seal it shut. Use clear gummy dots to hold the product in place. Attached is a box/insert for a product I used to manufacture.
    Nice product/packaging, looks real professional.
    George

For our jewelry we use Uline boxes (relatively cheap - altho to get them into Fiji costs about 5 times the base USA price) and hockey puck holders (very sturdy).
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Thank you all for the great ideas and examples.
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

I do production rather than retail work mostly, but I keep a couple of rolls of different sizes of stretch wrap. I get it at Uline as I do boxes, but in a pinch Staples and Office Depot have it too.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I bought rolls of Shrink Tube in 10 and 14 inch wide and the sealer and cutter. I place the signs under my heat press with newspaper over it letting the 380 degree press just above it, shrink it.

You should not do this for Sublimated material.

It's not perfect but customers like it.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 07-18-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I still use Uline for some items, but mostly go to http://www.staplesindustrial.com/ any more. They carry the products I use the most for a lot less than Uline. Sometimes the items in the "Clearance Center" are unbelievably cheap.
    Camtech water chilled L20 4'x8' 60W CNC laser, CNC router/rotary engraver recycled from exhumed parts Corel X3, Adobe CS5 Design Premium, PhotoGrav, VCarvePro, Mach3, WinCNC Wacom Intuos3 tablet, several Macs & several PCs

Wish I had known about that sooner. Their free freight offer would save me 50% over U-line.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Doug, really nicely done! Thanks for sharing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks George and Scott. It was a cheap solution that I could do almost completely in house. The same packaging with different colored inserts was used for different products as well.

Also, to help fold the inserts, I laser cut a multi-stage folding jig. If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.