Thread: Dust collector in separate bldg.

Dust collector in separate bldg.

Hi guys, This is my first post. I have just discovered this forum and have spent many hours reading posts. Very addictive. I have a 24 x 36 shop with a detached shed that I want to house my new V-3000 in. The shed sits 3 feet from shop. I have been reading through many posts here r.e. DC. I understand there will be a return air issue. I also understand that I could just run filter into shop, but this would just be bringing the noise right back in. What is best way to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.

Howard

There would only be a return air issue when you are heating or cooling your shop.
    When not heating or cooling you can leave the filter in the shed or just blow the air out without a filter.

When heating or cooling you can bring the filtered air back into the shop into an insulated closet with some baffles that would dissipate much of the noise.
    Thank You
    Ed

I am not familiar with which dust collector you are talking about, but I can say for sure that when I am running my dust collector, something else, that is MUCH noisier than my DC is running, and I have muffs on.

Only noise issue I can think of would be combined noise issue bothering neighbors. I am pretty lucky that way. Down my street on any given day you can hear some sort of woodworking equipment.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Sorry I didn't specify better. It is Oneida's V-3000. I had read a post on here that used an analogy of sucking on a pipe that was capped on one end. That made sense that the air has to come from somewhere. I have a woodburning stove in my shop, wouldn't it suck back down my flu if I was only pulling air from the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Jahnke View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify better. It is Oneida's V-3000. I had read a post on here that used an analogy of sucking on a pipe that was capped on one end. That made sense that the air has to come from somewhere. I have a woodburning stove in my shop, wouldn't it suck back down my flu if I was only pulling air from the shop?
    It certainly will Howard.

You'll have to provide enough make up air for the dust collector and the stove, plus a safety factor.

Regards, Rod.

Yes Howard you will need to run the return with the filter back into your shop at least in the winter.

I would hook it up and try it the noise may be less of a issue than you think. When you run your collector you will be running something else that is making noise so maybe a nice set of muffs maybe with a radio in them is in order anyways.
    Thank You
    Ed

Thanks for the input guys. I saw a thread here that referred to a guy who ran a "Z" type of return back to his shop to reduce noise. I can't locate the thread again for the life of me. Anyone know exactly how I would go about this.