The subject kind of says it all. I have been reading here and elsewhere about how to get power out to my sub-panel. I have put in breakers before and wired lights, switches outlets etc... So I have no fear of that part. But I have never put in a panel before.

So I am wondering about the new elements involved in that. I have spoken to a couple of neighborhood electricians. I have spoken to a couple, read a lot, of "experts" down at Home Depot and Lowes. I am just trying to figure out what to do for 1 simple piece.

I was planning a 50 amp line out to the garage with 6/3 copper wire. Now I am thinking that perhaps a 100 amp line is a better call. But wire to use? I have read recommendations here and elsewhere that 2/2/2/2 4 wire aluminum is enough for 100 amp. Then recently a post that it didn't pass inspection. So do I got for the much larger 2/0 aluminum wire?

I have also read tons about aluminum wires and fires and problems. So I started planning copper. Well the the 6/3 I was looking at won't go about 50. So that takes us down the 2/3 copper wire that HD sells. More than 2x what the 6/3 cost but the kid helping me had no idea what the max amps on it was... They had a chart that was very hard to read and it is either 65 amps or 125. Well that is a big enough swing to burn the house down with...

Now the panels are 21' apart on base measurements. But given the oddities that happen figure it is going to be more like... 25' of cable. My intention is to buy 30' just in case.

So I thought I would pose the question here. Given that I am just talking about the link between the panels themselves would you:
1- Go with copper or aluminum wire?
2- And based on #1 what gauge would you use?
3- A 50amp line for a 1-man hobby garage or a 100?
4- Anything else you can think of that I haven't asked about in regards to connecting the 2 panels...

Any advice or information would be great. I just don't want to burn the house down.

Thanks!!!
Joshua