Thread: Temporary wood heat in shop

Temporary wood heat in shop

Hello,

I am living as a renter at a place for the next 1 to 3 years. I'm trying to think about how I'll heat the shop this winter and have a source for unlimited scrap wood, so wood heat would be free. My problem is I can't run a chimney up through the roof of my shop. Here is what I am considering:

Purchase a cheap used door and replace the existing side door with the cheap one. Set the stove in front of the door and run the stovepipe to the outside by cutting a hole in the door. Slope the stovepipe at a 45 degree angle to ensure good draft.

Any comments on this strategy?

Thanks

How are you going to enter and exit the room?

Why not a portable space heater?

Greg,
    A window will work as well just make sure you have plenty of clearance between the heater/stove and any flammables and if you are in a garage the stove needs to be 18 inches off of the floor due to the flammables that can escape vehicles.
    Where the pipe passes through the door/window, etc, make sure that it too has a fire proof space around the pipe to keep the pass-through from catching on fire.
    David B

Fist: determine if the landlord & the landlord's insurance carrier will allow & cover the use of a wood stove.

Next since you are going to alter & replace a door to accommodate the stove, determine if such an arrangement meets code.

Be careful, very careful. There needs to be a double walled pipe going through any door you use and the pipe needs to be separated from the wood in the door by either a large air space or insulation. This is a potentially hazardous installation if not done right. I would seriously doubt if you could get any fire or code enforcement official to approve it no matter how careful you are.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH