Thread: Help Selecting Laser Engraver

Help Selecting Laser Engraver

I hope I'm not out of line asking for this info here. I'm new here. Been lurking for awhile and haven't been able to find much info on the Jamieson MT-530 laser engraving machine. Right now I do woodworking and pen-turning mostly as a hobby. I already have a full time job, but was considering taking my hobby to the next level with a laser engraver.
    Seems the most I can find for the bux spent is the Jamieson MT-530

jamiesonlaser.com/lasersys/HX/HX.htm

Anyone have this machine or know of someone who does? Any comments on it? Any complaints? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly
    kelly@K7SU.com
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-19-2009 at 7:25 AM.

Kelly, welcome to the forum! Only thing I can say about them is that I only recall seeing basically the same question you asked about them a few times. I don't recall anyone mentioning they had one or had any dealings with them, but I might have missed it.

Welcome, and good luck in your laser shopping.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Kelly,

For the money buying a US made used Laser from any of the 3 members selling one would be a great value for your money and easier parts support.

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

4. Hello Kelly and welcome to the Creek!

I own this machine and placed a post a while back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114402

I have had a lot of fun with it and am still learning. A few reasons I went with this one was the cost, I also have a full time job and wanted to start something small on the side as a hobby. It came with a 2 year warranty on the machine and 1 year on the parts. (lenses,mirrors and tube) and lifetime phone support. Worst case the company (Jamieson) is American and I figured, if the machine was a lemon, I could contact the BBB or have other means of recouse. Happily I have nothing bad to say about them as they have done a very good job getting me up and running.

So far I have done some mirrors, tile, acryllic, and some wood. The software is a little quirky but not too bad. For example for 300 DPI you have to enter .08466. Not sure this is a really big deal but for some folks I guess it would be. I am still too new at this to post any serious review since this is my first machine.

I did pay them a visit and took their training on site. I got to see their operation firsthand and see/test it before I bought.

Jason
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" -- Arthur Carlson

Jamieson MT-530

Selecting a laser

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Klaas View Post
    I hope I'm not out of line asking for this info here. I'm new here. Been lurking for awhile and haven't been able to find much info on the Jamieson MT-530 laser engraving machine. Right now I do woodworking and pen-turning mostly as a hobby. I already have a full time job, but was considering taking my hobby to the next level with a laser engraver.
    Seems the most I can find for the bux spent is the Jamieson MT-530

jamiesonlaser.com/lasersys/HX/HX.htm

Anyone have this machine or know of someone who does? Any comments on it? Any complaints? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly
    kelly@K7SU.com
    Kelly,

Welcome to SMC! These are great folks with lots of experience.

As one who started doing what you are just starting, over two years ago now let me tell you that it certainly has it's ups and downs, especially if you're a small business operational like I am. I'm also a Mac user which threw a big monkey wrench into my plans from the start. Check out the Mac compatible laser thread in this forum.

I've never heard of and or seen the Jamieson Laser system. But from reviewing the web site that you graciously provided it appears that, because of their water cooled laser, they are Chinese made. Having been to China etc, I'd be VERY careful of anything as high tech as a laser coming out of that country. Taiwan is another story.

The best of luck and the most enjoyment possible in this new venture! Everyone at SMC appears to be more than willing to assest us "newbies" along!

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-19-2009 at 7:26 AM.

Thanks!

I did pay them a visit and took their training on site. I got to see their operation firsthand and see/test it before I bought.

Jason[/QUOTE]

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I'm glad you replied because I did see your earlier post regarding this machine and tried to find you to ask you a few questions but couldn't do it.

Would you be willing to email me direct so I can talk to you about a couple things on this particular machine? Rather than asking you to give me your email, I'll give you mine and if it would be ok with you, just email me.

kelly@K7SU.com

Thanks..I really appreciated it!

Kelly

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I too have a full time job and I'm not expecting this new venture to replace that...but it's always nice to have a few extra bucks coming in from other sources. My son-in-law told me today he would like to invest in the machine also to that will bring the cost of it down to almost half...he's not investing quite half but still, its something. And, the machine will be in MY shop so that's even better! :>)

I've had some good replies to my original request and I appreciate that.

Kelly
    southcentral Idaho