Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need source for 1/4 inch rabbeting bit

Need source for 1/4 inch rabbeting bit

Hello,

I need to make some rabbets with a router in a bookcase that I’m building, and I need to make 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch rabbets.

The problem is, I can’t find anyone (Rockler, Lee Valley, etc. or anyone) who sells a single rabbeting bit of that size. I can find rabbeting bit “sets”, which include various size bearings that would allow me to cut a 1/4 inch rabbet, but I can’t find any individual bits of that size (and I want 1/2 inch shanks).

Does anyone know of a source for a single 1/2 inch shank, 1/4 inch rabbeting bit?

And another question, have any of you used a rabbeting bit “set” in which you change bearings to get the size rabbet that you want, and is this effective?

Thanks,
    Louis

I really like the rabbetting bits from lee valley. The 1" diameter rabbet bits are useful in making joints to match a 1/2" roundover.
    Fullerbuilt

Have you tried Holbren? They have great service, and the owner is a member here at the creek. And I believe they have a 10% discount if you use the code smc10. I haven't bought anything from there for a few months, so I am not positive on that.

But I am sure that Holbren provides some of the best customer service I have encountered.

Here's a couple of suppliers to try

Last edited by Jon Weisenbach; 07-18-2009 at 4:13 PM.
    If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?

Well, after your post, I just checked Holbren's website, and the only single rabbeting bit that it showed would not cut a depth smaller than 3/8 inch. I need one that will cut a depth of 1/4 inch.
    Louis

Hello Louis. Is this what you need? http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...uter_bits_-_pc

Walter, no that's not it. I'm looking for a rabbeting bit, which has the bearing on the bottom (beneath the cutters).
    Louis

If I understand correctly you want the cutting edge to be 1/4" and the cutting depth to be1/4". Then I think you need a slot cutter kit like this.
    http://www.woodline.com/p-1606-slot-...-12-shank.aspx
    I have gotten good use from these bits especially for the money.

I have the Eagle 7 bearing set, it is a great tool to have and I have used it many times.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...uter_bits_-_ea

whiteside also have a nice rabbit bit set that cuts 1/4" with a 1/2" shank. You can also use a dado blade on a table saw.

Thanks everyone, but I'm not seeing any SINGLE rabbeting bits with 1/2 inch shanks in the sources that you've mentioned.

But, I do see lots of rabbeting bit "sets", in which a bit comes with several sizes of interchangeable bearings. Most of those "sets" provide the capability of cutting a 1/4 inch rabbet.

If I can only find rabbeting bit "sets" that will allow me to cut a 1/4 inch rabbet, my other question is, have any of you used such sets, where you select the appropriate size bearing, and if so, are these "sets" effective?

Louis

It's not rocket science. The diameter of the bearing determines the depth of cut. Bigger bearing... shallower cut. Smaller bearing... deeper cut. Shank size is irrelevant.
    David DeCristoforo

Yes, David. I know that with a rabbeting "set", the bigger the bearing, the smaller the cut, and the smaller the bearing, the bigger the cut. My mention about the 1/2 inch shank was only to state that I wanted 1/2 inch shank bits, not 1/4 inch shank bits.

But my other question still remains. And that is, if I have to use one of the rabbeting bit "sets", has anyone used them, and are they any good (are the bearings a problem to tighten, etc.)?
    Louis

Blog Entries
    Sorry Louis, I posted this in your other thread. I'll repeat it here just in case:

"I prefer guided as it directly references the edge. Additional bearings can be had for much less than a full rabbet set. Caliper the I.D. of your current bearing and order an O.D. to give you a 1/4" cut: http://www.holbren.com/bearings/

If you are unsure, give them a call."
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler