Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need source for 1/4 inch rabbeting bit

Get the set with multiple bearings or invest in a router table.

You could also just cut them on the tablesaw. For a 1/4" cut, you don't ever have to bother with a dado stack. Just do a series of passes.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Hello,

I need to make some rabbets with a router in a bookcase that I’m building, and I need to make 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch rabbets.

The problem is, I can’t find anyone (Rockler, Lee Valley, etc. or anyone) who sells a single rabbeting bit of that size. I can find rabbeting bit “sets”, which include various size bearings that would allow me to cut a 1/4 inch rabbet, but I can’t find any individual bits of that size (and I want 1/2 inch shanks).

Does anyone know of a source for a single 1/2 inch shank, 1/4 inch rabbeting bit?

And another question, have any of you used a rabbeting bit “set” in which you change bearings to get the size rabbet that you want, and is this effective?

Thanks,
    Louis

I don't have a table saw.
    Louis

They are available with 1/2" shanks. It's a "piece of cake" to change the bearings and they work just fine.

Here's another link showing several just as an example.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2haiyyyslb_b
    They are actually very common.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    They are available with 1/2" shanks. It's a "piece of cake" to change the bearings and they work just fine.

Here's another link showing several just as an example.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2haiyyyslb_b
    They are actually very common.
    Thanks David,
    That's the answer that I was looking for, the fact that the bearings are easy to change and that this type of rabbeting set works fine. That's the type of set that I'll get, now that I've pretty well determined that no one sells a single bit of the size that I want.
    Louis

Yes, David. I know that with a rabbeting "set", the bigger the bearing, the smaller the cut, and the smaller the bearing, the bigger the cut. My mention about the 1/2 inch shank was only to state that I wanted 1/2 inch shank bits, not 1/4 inch shank bits.

But my other question still remains. And that is, if I have to use one of the rabbeting bit "sets", has anyone used them, and are they any good (are the bearings a problem to tighten, etc.)?
    Louis

As I stated before, I have the Eagle 7 bearing set, 1/2 inch shank and it is a great tool. I have used it a lot for different projects.

I have used it in the fixed base router and I have also used it in the router table.

Now if you have a router table and can handle the boards on it you don't need the rabbeting set, just put a 1/2 straight cut bit, set the fence so it is 1/4 out from the fence and 1/4 high.

With an edge guide, you can do the same thing, but a 1/2 straight bit in and set to so it will cut 1/4 inch in and 1/4 inch deep and route them.

You sure don't need any fancy bit set or bearings. As stated earlier, use any straight bit, set it to 1/4" height and set the fence for a 1/4" depth.
    If you're doing curves, then yes, you need a bearing.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Woodcraft's $5 (when on sale) rabbeting bit has a 1/2" shank. Bearings from MLCS fits it. That how I made my set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Woodcraft's $5 (when on sale) rabbeting bit has a 1/2" shank. Bearings from MLCS fits it. That how I made my set.
    Funny, I was looking at my own $5 woodcraft rabbiting router bit, and it is presently set up to take a 1/4" depth! It comes stock at a 3/8" depth IIR? No fancy kit, I just swapped a bigger bearing from another bit I had, no problems. I think I have an Amana bearing replacement kit I got for $16, it might have come from that?

At work we have a CMT Grand rabbit set. Very nice set that allows depth adjustments from 1/16"-1/2" in 1/16" increments. Its easy to swap bearings, the shear angle on the cutter keeps tear out to a minimum, very nice set. i am far too cheap to buy that for myself and would change the design of a piece before I spent $125 on a rabbit set. That is why I use a $5 bit with a $16 bearing kit! Adapt and overcome I say.

A straight bit and a fence will do quite a bit and give you a lot of width flexibility.

Any rabbeting bit will work if you use an edge guide with it to set the depth of cut. Straight bits will work too.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    Any rabbeting bit will work if you use an edge guide with it to set the depth of cut. Straight bits will work too.

Doc
    Yes, I realize that almost any rabbeting bit will work, provided that I install the proper size bearing. I had simply hoped that I could find a supplier for a single 1/4 inch rabbeting bit with a 1/2 inch shank. Now, as I mentioned, I plan to order a rabbeting bit set, with multiple bearings to accomplish it.
    Louis

FWIW, changing bearing sizes is a good way to alter the offset of any router bit. Most bits use the same bearing I.D. and the same size pilot screw so it's usually just a question of switching them. There are also bushings available that will allow bearings with a larger I.D. to be mounted. As Peter mentioned, you might even have the bearing size you need on another bit. I have a whole box of different bearings, washers, shims, bushings, etc. that I use to accommodate special setups. I also have a number of bits that have had the pilot stub ground off because I needed more "reach" and the pilot was in the way. I have clamp on fences of every description, some manufactured, most shop made, special bases that have fences "built in"... each one made for some specific "one off" project. There are many times when you cannot find (or do not have) exactly the right bit (or cutter) and you have to either improvise, buy the bit you need or, in some cases, have a special bit made. Buying a bit or (especially) having one made can be costly so if you can rig something up to get the job done with what you have on hand, "improvising" is often the best way to go.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks David,

I'm getting ready to order a Freud rabbeting bit set, which will have several bearings, and with this set, I'll be able to cut the length rabbet that I need. Being somewhat new to routing, I wasn't aware of the fact that you can switch the bearings to provide different lengths of cut. Now, I understand, and I'll be ordering the set that I need.

Louis

Thanks everyone, but I'm not seeing any SINGLE rabbeting bits with 1/2 inch shanks in the sources that you've mentioned.

But, I do see lots of rabbeting bit "sets", in which a bit comes with several sizes of interchangeable bearings. Most of those "sets" provide the capability of cutting a 1/4 inch rabbet.

If I can only find rabbeting bit "sets" that will allow me to cut a 1/4 inch rabbet, my other question is, have any of you used such sets, where you select the appropriate size bearing, and if so, are these "sets" effective?

Louis
    Louis...
    Unless I'm missing something in this latest post I believe both questions have been answered. The url's I listed offer both 1/2" and 1/4" shank bits. And yes several of the posters have used the sets with success!

Jon
    If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Weisenbach View Post
    Louis...
    Unless I'm missing something in this latest post I believe both questions have been answered. The url's I listed offer both 1/2" and 1/4" shank bits. And yes several of the posters have used the sets with success!

Jon
    Yes, I agree, both questions have been answered. I'm certainly not attempting to prolong the post. If others want to add comments, that's their right, but as I say, I'm satisfied with the replies that I've had. I always get very good and very helpful replies on this forum, and I'm always grateful for them.
    Thanks again,
    Louis