Thread: Open House at Hardwoods Inc in Alabasrer, AL

Open House at Hardwoods Inc in Alabasrer, AL

Not sure what I expected, but I was a little disappointed. Announcement talked about special deals, I guess the amount was special, but it was the typical fifty cents a board foot odd pieces. Then again, it started at 8:00 AM and I didn't get there until after 10:00 PM so I may have missed the "good" stuff". Best deal I saw was a pallet of fairly wide pine boards for fifty cents a BF. If I had the storage, I might have bought all of them just for shop cabinets and similar projects.

Saw one gent setup to make those steamed, bent, oval boxes (in my mind they always register as hat boxes regardless of the size). That was interesting. Looks like they had some product demos going in one of their meeting/class rooms. They were doing some kind of drawer slides when I peeked.

I didn't hang around for food (maybe a first for me) but it smelled good grilling. Looks like they were setup for dogs and burgers.

I think this is the only time I've ever been there that I didn't leave with something. I was looking for a small piece of 5/4 or thicker Purple heart, but only piece they had was much more than I needed and I wasn't going to try talking them into cutting it.

They did have three huge slabs sitting out. One was cherry, not sure about the other two. The cherry was over $300, but if you needed a big solid board, it was pretty piece.

They have had a big chunk of yellow heart, about 12 feet long, almost a foot wide, and 8/4 thick that I look at every time I stop. Never thought of anything that I could use it for, but I like looking at it. Overheard someone talking about loading it, so maybe it's got a new home.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 07-19-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: More info