Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best wood choice for water

Most PT will hit HD and Lowes in a fairly wet form and they won't cut it for you because of the health dangers. Having spent many years in the military, I know that there are a lot of bugs that are quite edible, so I don't worry to much about my son grabbing an ant and munching down (they tase a little like a lemon drop). However, every chemical in my house is locked up. PT lumber is designed to kill insects, start chewing on it like my grandpa did with a toothpick and then weigh 30 pounds and it will likely do some damage. There is a reason Home Depot pushed to get a safer form of PT lumber. Last year they started phasing out the wet stuff and going to a dry chemical. You'll notice it's not nearly as green looking and as heavy. Still, I don't want my 1 year old sucking on it.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Barry, if it was left to the manufacturers to disclose chemical content, the consumer wouldn't have a clue what's in the lumber...or soup can, or gasoline, or cigarette smoke... ...ignorance is bliss...

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

water table

I'd use Azek for this application without a doubt. You can cut and join it like any wood product but its pvc so you glue it with pvc glue (like irrigation fittings). Just did an entry in the stuff using cope and stick joinery. The only thing is that for a table you'd want to ensure that you have legs that are nice a thick or you integrate stretchers if there is significant weight because the Azek stuff can flex more than wood.

In San Diego, the Sea World facility was wearing out everything that came in contact with water regardless of how carefully they epoxy coated or painted everything. Once they tried Azek, they fell in love and now everything from flower boxes, stands, wall panelling etc is all Azek.