Thread: Carter Guides on a Steel City 14" Band Saw

Carter Guides on a Steel City 14" Band Saw

Has anyone installed Carter guides on a 14" Steel City BS with a riser kit? Carter tells me they have a set of guides that will fit, but the guard will not. They tell me that some guys have modified their guards to work, but did not explain the problem. I'm assuming there would be some liability issues for them if they went any deeper into the problem.

I have a Ridgid. I purchased Carter guides system for the Jet 14" BS from another vendor that was cheaper than Carter themselves. Everything fit perfectly except the guide. I had to drill a hole in the guide so the screws would match up...that was it!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I hope you will share the name of that other vendor.

One of the problems I'm having is figuring out which of the posted kits on Carters site fits my saw. They gave me a number for my saw that apparently is a Steel City number (STC14), but it is not shown on their site. I figure it is just one of the other kits for a similar 14" saw that is shown, but with a Steel City prefix. If I could see how the Carter guide and the guard interface I would be better able to decide.

Here is the link to the site where I got my Carter Guides:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/carter.htm

And here is what my set up looks like:

actually, I can't seem to figure out how to get the picture on here. Look at my thread about my band saw beiing finishing...Finally! You'll be able to see how the top screw is not in the slot...I just drilled a hole.

Hope that helps.
    I drink, therefore I am.