Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5" random orbit sander recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5" random orbit sander recommendations

Hi all-

I just wanted to get your opinions on your favorite 5" random orbit sanders. My Milwaukee is getting ready to bite the dust, and has already been repaired once by an authorized Milwaukee repair shop. Stuff like Festool is out of the question, but I'm not expecting Black+Decker pricepoints either. I'm thinking along the lines of Bosch, Makita, Porter Cable...

Thanks in advance for you recommendations and any other insight you might have.

I've gone through several 5" ROS and have settled on the Porter Cable 390K. Best sander I've used so far.

I especially like the pad brake.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Ridgid recon unit that I have had lot of success with. I really like it. I have a brand new Dewalt that I have never used because I am satisfied with this one. It isnt fancy like the Porter Cable, it doesnt have a Pad brake but if you ask me I really dont see the need for one. I mean are you really in that much of a hurry that you need the pad to stop a second ot two faster. I mean come on!! Anyway, I really like mine.

CHuck

I really like my Makita BO5021 sander. Been using it a lot the last 3 years. Has variable speed, but a feature I really like for my hand is the full length handle grip. I can grip directly above the disc or to the side to glide over larger pieces.

Doesn't leave your hand numb like several of the low cost models. Several other brands are good too, but I've had excellent results with this model.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I have a Ridgid recon unit that I have had lot of success with. I really like it. I have a brand new Dewalt that I have never used because I am satisfied with this one. It isnt fancy like the Porter Cable, it doesnt have a Pad brake but if you ask me I really dont see the need for one. I mean are you really in that much of a hurry that you need the pad to stop a second ot two faster. I mean come on!! Anyway, I really like mine.

CHuck
    If you use a ROS with a pad brake, you'll never go back.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike H.,
    I've never used a model with a brake before. My Makita stops in less than 3 seconds. What is the advantage or benefit of a brake? Thanks.
    Kev

I'm with Mike!

+1 on the Porter Cable 390K

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    Mike H.,
    I've never used a model with a brake before. My Makita stops in less than 3 seconds. What is the advantage or benefit of a brake? Thanks.
    Kev
    All the 5" ROS that I've used didn't stop very quickly so when you went to set it down, it was still spinning. This caused it to jump around and it wore a spot where I would sit it down.

If yours stops quickly, you may not see the advantage of a pad brake, but for every sander I ever used - and that was a lot of different brands, including Makita - they did not stop quick enough.

The PC 390K has been a great sander for me. I just wish I had bought a second when they were on sale for $77.

Mike

Thanks for the comments Mike!

Perhaps I found a well mannered Makita. It is working very well for me. Stops spinning and doing the "hoola-hoop" in very little time.

(For the younger crowd, the Hoola-Hoop was an action that wild baby-boomers did to release energy before other other vises were available.)
    Kev

In fact, Jason, if you don't want to go new, I have a Makita B5021, a Ridgid 5" ROS, a Ridgid 6" ROS and a Hitachi quarter sheet sander I'll sell cheap (plus shipping). Contact me via PM.

Mike

sander

One huge thing to consider is the dust bag. My ridgid is screwed on vs. friction fit. The friction fit of the OLD porter cable was not fun when it came off during sanding. I think I'll check into the pc you guys are touting and see if the bag will stay on and add it to my collection.

I had the PC and then bought a Ridgid. Ridgid is quieter, less vibration, better DC and smoother. The 10' cord is handy too.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas, I appreciate them. I'll do some more research on the Ridgid, Makita B05021, and the PC 390K and make a selection from those. Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    Perhaps I found a well mannered Makita.
    I love my Bosch sanders but they take probably 6 seconds or more to slow to the point where they could be set down. I know it doesn't sound like long but, like booting Windows, sometimes it seems like forever. I got a Sander Sitter for a gift and it solves that problem while cleaning the disc. I really thought the thing was a gimmick till I got one.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 for the Ridgid line

I have the Ridgid (Orange model if there other colors out there) with adjustable speed. Have had it for 5+ years, and have sanded alot of wood plus one large deck (entire deck including rails and stiles) with it without issue.

Came in a nice case for storage, sits nice in my hand, has a light on the plug end to visually indicate the tool is powered up, and has a really nice velcro band attached to the cord for wrapping it up for storage. Also the speed control knob is in a great place for adjustment on the fly with a turn of the thumb.

Only downside I've ever come up with is the on/off switch location. Is somewhat easy when held certain ways to accidentally switch it off while sanding.

It takes a moment to spin down w/ no pad brake present, but it's less then 5 seconds or so, which for me is no biggie.

For the price it was tough to beat and has been a terrific performer.