Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5" random orbit sander recommendations

Another one to research: The Bosch ROS20VSK. I had the older model and recently got the newer one. I too like the Porter Cable, but it's about twice the price of this one.

Things I like about the Bosch:

Small and light --> no fatigue on large pieces, which I've had with other models.

Excellent dust containment. The cartridge filter is 'pretty good'. But if you hook it up to a shop vac, the dc is excellent. Unlike prev versions, the new model comes with an adapter to fit a standard vac hose.

Quiet. I can finally sand in my basement with the kids asleep upstairs...

(minor nice touch): The case has guideposts that you slide a sanding disc onto and then press the sander down onto to make the hole alignment perfect.

I got mine reconditioned from CPO Bosch. Good experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    Perhaps I found a well mannered Makita.
    I love my Bosch sanders but they take probably 6 seconds or more to slow to the point where they could be set down. I know it doesn't sound like long but, like booting Windows, sometimes it seems like forever. I got a Sander Sitter for a gift and it solves that problem while cleaning the disc. I really thought the thing was a gimmick till I got one.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 for the Ridgid line

I have the Ridgid (Orange model if there other colors out there) with adjustable speed. Have had it for 5+ years, and have sanded alot of wood plus one large deck (entire deck including rails and stiles) with it without issue.

Came in a nice case for storage, sits nice in my hand, has a light on the plug end to visually indicate the tool is powered up, and has a really nice velcro band attached to the cord for wrapping it up for storage. Also the speed control knob is in a great place for adjustment on the fly with a turn of the thumb.

Only downside I've ever come up with is the on/off switch location. Is somewhat easy when held certain ways to accidentally switch it off while sanding.

It takes a moment to spin down w/ no pad brake present, but it's less then 5 seconds or so, which for me is no biggie.

For the price it was tough to beat and has been a terrific performer.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Ridgid sander, I'm a fan of the Ridgid tools I have so far, including a TP1300 planer, 14.4V impact driver, and 14.4V drill. -Seems like their tools always win a "Best Value" or equivalent award in magazine tool shootouts. Thanks again for the insights from all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've gone through several 5" ROS and have settled on the Porter Cable 390K. Best sander I've used so far.

I especially like the pad brake.

Mike
    I have to agree with Mike. The porter cable is very nice. The vibration isn't bad, the low height of where your hand rests also is nice too. The brake makes it great for setting down quickly when you need to swap out sand paper or just need to stop for some reason or another.