Thread: Shellac questions

Shellac questions

Is Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac "dewaxed"? The can I have says "Contains 3lb cut of pure shellac in denatured alcohol". Does this need to be cut further for spraying?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Blog Entries
    Zinsser's "Seal Coat" is 100% dewaxed. I hit it 1:1 with DNA to spray but that is a personal preference, not a requirement (depending on your rig).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-24-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bullseye - waxed
    Sealcoat - dewaxed
    Spray can - dewaxed

I thin my shellac to 1-2# when spraying. But that's just me.

3 lb cut is pretty heavy. I use 1 lb for sealing and toning, and 2 lb for general finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bietau View Post
    Is Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac "dewaxed"? The can I have says "Contains 3lb cut of pure shellac in denatured alcohol". Does this need to be cut further for spraying?

Thanks for any help,

Steve
    Can't help you with the spraying question but it's easy to dewax your shellac. Basically, just pour it into a glass container and let it sit for a day or two in the dark. The wax will settle to the bottom and just decant or suction off the now dewaxed shellac from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Musial View Post
    Can't help you with the spraying question but it's easy to dewax your shellac. Basically, just pour it into a glass container and let it sit for a day or two in the dark. The wax will settle to the bottom and just decant or suction off the now dewaxed shellac from the top.
    Easy for some. I have not had luck doing this. You're better (IMHO) using Sealcoat, and adding a drop or two of Transtint Amber if you want it darker.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-24-2009 at 9:32 PM.

Zinsser adds stuff to their shellac to keep the wax in suspension and too prolong shelf life. You would yield about 3-4 oz of dewaxed shellac from a quart can.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thinning it must do something because I always have a thick white band at the bottom of my jars.

>> Is Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac "dewaxed"? The can I have says "Contains 3lb cut of pure shellac in denatured alcohol". Does this need to be cut further for spraying?

No, that one is not dewaxed. The only one that is dewaxed is their SealCoat product. It's a 2# cut of dewaxed shellac. Go to: http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=3 The item you want is the second one one down.

For spraying, most will cut the shellac to about 1 1/2# - 1# cut.
    Howie.........

Thanks for all the replies. This was exactly what I was looking for and very helpful.

Steve