Thread: Some progress made on Expansion of shop

Some progress made on Expansion of shop

Well I had a trackhoe here on Tuesday to dig the new entrance to the basement shop. Here are some pictures because I know it really didn't happen if I don't have pictures. I have been working last night and tonight finishing up what the hoe couldn't reach and straighting up the walls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Thumbs up

Looking Great Sparky!
    It's nice to have those hydraulic beasts to do the work!
    you'll enjoy the new added space for your shop.
    Give me a shout and I'll help you out!
    what are you working on next?
    Jim

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    It's going to be great when you get there Sparky!
    Don't forget to enjoy the journey!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hoe, hoe, hoe!!! Nothing like the right tool for the job, Sparky. Good call.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Next will be a bobcat with a 4' bucket to dig out the two other areas in the shop. One area will be 7' by 7' with a 2' shelf on three sides that I will use for the lathe and the shelf for storage. The other area is about 6' by as far as I want to dig back (up to about 25 feet). I plan to go about 16 feet. It also will have a 2' shelf on one side that I will use for wood storage. This area will be for the cyclone, planer, and other odds and ends. This will free up the main part of the shop for room to actually build stuff. I don't mind doing the work as bad as I mind waiting for the equipment to show up but I can't complain, a friend is doing the dirt moving for free but has to fit me in between paying jobs. I have done some of it by hand with a pick and shovel but this red clay is like rock around here. I did unload about 20,000 pounds of dirt from my trailer with a shovel the day the trackhoe was here. (12 loads ) Once the dirt is all moved it will be on to footings, block laying, and concrete.
    Sparky Paessler

You go Sparky

Man you don't play around do you! Bring in the heavy machinery and let'er rip. Congrats on the new expansion. I can't wait to see how the new entrance looks. Any structural problems with the house after removing part of the basement wall? Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Allan

I put in a beam made up of 3 2x8s with 1/2" ply between them in all of the openings. The widest opne was only about 7.5' so this should be enought. On the outside door I will have enought room to put a beam made up of 3 2x4s and I doubled up the joist that ran over the door. This opening will only be 5' wide so that will work. Most of the walls that I am digging by do not have a big load on them so I am not too worried and the ground they are on is good hard red clay that even the trackhoe had a hard time digging through. I got to run the machine some and it was a lot more fun that a pick and shovel!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 09-02-2004 at 11:00 PM.
    Sparky Paessler

It's looking good Sparky. There is no way I would dig this red clay by hand. Been there, done that, and won't abe doing it again.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler
    Allan

I put in a beam made up of 3 2x8s with 1/2" ply between them in all of the openings. The widest opne was only about 7.5' so this should be enought. On the outside door I will have enought room to put a beam made up of 3 2x4s and I doubled up the joist that ran over the door. This opening will only be 5' wide so that will work. Most of the walls that I am digging by do not have a big load on them so I am not too worried and the ground they are on is good hard red clay that even the trackhoe had a hard time digging through. I got to run the machine some and it was a lot more fun that a pick and shovel!
    Sounds like it's going to be strudy to me. Ain't machines nice? You should be in great shape after all that work; better than going to the gym. Keep up the good work. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.