Thread: Tool Storage Ideas

Tool Storage Ideas

Hi All;
    With limited shop space (especially walls), I'm always looking for ways to consolidate or store tools. Awhile back, I ran across an idea for storing hammers using PVC pipe-see pic below. Since then, I've found other uses for PVC pipe in the shop-it's cheap, comes in a lot of sizes, cuts and drill easily, and glues together fast and strong.
    Below is also a lathe tool rack made with 2" and 1" PVC. Over the years I've had my lathe tools hanging on pegboard, in holes in a piece of wood, on various shelves, etc- none worked as well as the PVC arrangement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

George, great idea(s)! I especially like the lathe tool rack. I'm assuming you posted this with the intent of people "stealing" the idea, so yes, you can now call me a thief! But, to make this theft a success, I need to know:
    How are you attaching the PVC to the board? Glues? Screwed? Both? Thanks for the idea and any additional info!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

impressed!

i too would like to get more info on that tool storge idea as well, looks great.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Great idea for tool storage - but I'm not sure I'd want SWMBO to know that I need space for 21 hammers! She thinks I have too many tools already.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hovde
    Great idea for tool storage - but I'm not sure I'd want SWMBO to know that I need space for 21 hammers! She thinks I have too many tools already.

Bob
    Bob, just tell her, that way she has her pick of size, weight AND color for when she wants to jump in and help!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Tool Storage Followup

Hi guys;
    Lathe tool rack is hung on two modified pegboard hooks at the top and two drywall screws (angled in) at the bottom. The two outside tubes on the top row hang on two hooks which were bent up at same angle as tubes.
    Hammer rack- top row is glued together (after cutting slots for hammers on bandsaw) and then holes drilled in end tubes and two others and row is fastened to bottom of cabinet with drywall screws (I love drywall screws). Then bottom rows tubes are glued on one at a time-glue drys in 10 seconds.
    As a side note, I have, over 37 years, been able to convince the LOML that every hammer has a specific use and is needed- still working on a story for the 115 screwdrivers!
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hovde

Bob
    Bob:

You have to stress that you can never have too many tools. Just remind the lady of the house the next time she asks for a Honey-Do.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Interesting idea and solution, George.
    But is the way you store the lathe tools really safe? I might be a bit overcautious but I wouldn't feel safe with all those uncovered sharp edges.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Hi George,

Its a really great idea. How does the screw driver storage work? Are there holes for each one or is it a slot so you can slide things back and forth to rearrange?

Thanks
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Safe??

Hi Christian;
    Thanks for comment and response.I see that you're over there from Arnold's native land. Regarding your concern, it may not be the safest way to store sharp chisels, but:
    1. They are high on a wall in a corner-lathe is beneath them and you have to reach to get one. You can't walk by them.
    2. Tips are up and out of harms way-saves edges
    3. I can see exactly which one I need
    4. It's really a compact storage method
    George

Great idea! Thanks.

Very nice idea George! I might have to borrow that one when the shop goes through the final incarnation (yeah right ).

Thanks George. I will probably use the technique for hammers and I am thinking about adapting it for other tools.

But, like Christian, I would not like to store tools with the blades up as you have done. I guess that it works for you, but I am reasonably sure that I would screw up somehow someday and cut myself.