Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Auto Mechanics at SMC??

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gerstenecker
    Rich, speaking of working on our old cars..............my son, the mechanic, is 20 years old. He watched me rebuild a Holly 650 a year or so ago.............he was simply amazed that someone could actually DO that with all those little parts! When I pulled out an old Ford Distributor and explained setting the points and messing with the advance springs.......he turned around and left. I heard him murmur as he walked away.............."No wonder you old guys ain't right." After I got up off the floor from laughing, I told him that the new mechanics are "soft". He has NO idea how good he has it..............heck, if I could plug in a diagnostic computer to the car and have it tell me what was wrong, I could fix it too!
    Those young whipper snappers don't know what their missing. Ohhh I remember that well. I also had a Plymouth Duster with the slant 6 engine. The distributor was on the wrong side of the engine and a real ________ to get at. That car would not die. I gave it to my BIL in 85 and he drove it to 88 before it rusted out.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

I used to be a mechanic, but I can't really say what's recommended for the newer cars (1995 or newer). We did change a lot of trans fluid, also changing the filter at the same time. Most of the time, we recommeded changing around every 50,000 miles or so. We rarely drained the torque converter. The assumption was: the new filter would be able to catch most of the contaminates that came from the torque converter and as long as the fluid wasn't "burnt" it probably didn't need to be drained. We also recommended changing the differential oil at the same time, in rear wheel drive vehicles.

My uncle had his own shop & for years he would loosen the pan & let it drain at the front & remove the pan & change the filter & button everything back up. Then take the return line off at the trans cooler & fill the trans & let the car run & pump out the rest of the fluid from the converter & when the new fluid showed up at the end of the hose shut the car off fasten the line back to the trans cooler & top the trans fluid off.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

time to change fluid?

I drive two mini vans.. Not at the same time.
    I have burnt fluid every year or so roughlly 13 or 14 k probably.... Like I said if your fluid is dirty or burnt needs to be changed.. Manual transmissions are a different animal completely so I will not address that... but they do not need changeing as often.
    I do think the money could be roughly cut in half by doing a regualr fluid flush and fill rather than the "transfussion" .
    I am very big on fluid and filter changes! They will not hurt to do anytime but is a must when it needs it.
    Someone mentioned earlier if the fluid has never been changed and is an older car it is better not to change it. Well that all depends. I had a friend who's transmission was on the way out and it was automatic. The fluid looked like engine oil. NOT GOOD! THis is a case if he had changed the oil at this point the transmission would probably not even shift. BUt rebuild or replacement was just around the corner.
    Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop