Thread: Painting kitchen cabinets

Painting kitchen cabinets

Instead of remodeling our kitchen now we decided to paint the cabinets for the interim. They are the standard red oak cabinets (way too dark for our taste). I am getting ready to clean them and then paint. Should I use oil or water based paint? Can't seem to find any literature which sais one is better over the other. TIA
    Jim

You gonna brush or spray?

I sprayed my kitchen cabinets (and trim at the same time), 'cuz I suck with a brush. It was a lot of prep to mask off, plastic off, etc., but the end result was fantastic.

I actually sprayed automotive enamel car paint. I figured it was more durable, and it was very durable.

Water based will be cheaper in the long run. Cheaper brushes, water clean up. With oil base, you need a lot of thinner for clean up.

If you are going with gloss, oil base will be glossier. Oil base will yellow, if you are going with white.

Are you going to fill the pores, or do you want the grain look in the paint?

Neither is, per se, better. They both have favorable attributes.

Todd.

Painting kitchen cabinets

Jim, I am currently in process of refinishing my kitchen cabinets using an alkyd low lustre enamel. Prior to two coats of the finish product, I primed with an alkyd underbody. application of the paint is with a 4 inch sponge roller with a round tip. It works great on the raised panels. I have sanded between coats with 220 and the final coat looks as though it was sprayed. The paint is Benjamin Moore,(no affilliation) and works extremely well. Here is why I chose this particular product.

I am preparing to build a harpsichord from componets and was concerned about the finish. Called the company and discussed the finishing process. They use this paint and stated that it will finish beautifully. They sell this harpsichord for $25,000 finished. Conclusion; if it works on an instrument of that value, it certainly will work in my kitchen. It does!!!! E-mail if you want additional info.
    Bill Sampson

oil vs waterbased

Waterbased paints are very durable, clean up w water and have low odor.

At one time oil based paints were the best choice for durability but now you will get excellent durability from both types.

Oil based paints flow better and dry slowly. If you are rolling or brushing woodwork, oil based paint will give you a smooth finish where waterbased paint will hold onto brushmarks.

I remodeled and painted a number of french doors with waterbased paint. I even added some paint conditioner to help it flow better, but was not happy with the result. If I had to do it over again I might spray water based but wouldn't brush it on wood.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

My wife doesn't mind the brush marks showing a little, you know, that "cottagy look". She also loves Benjamin Moore paints. I have the thought of using oils because of the clean up, so maybe I will go with the water based. Looks like I may have to try the inside of one of the doors first.
    Jim

Primer

Jim -

The secret to good adhesions is to get the cabinets CLEAN - no oil or grease anywhere. Then sand lightly and prime.

I did the same thing to some really dark pine cabinets in our laundry room. Used Zinzer primer (rolled) and industrial gloss oil based enamel (two coats - rolled). Has held up well so far. I was worried about nicks, dings and scrapes - heavy laundry items like ironing board, the other items stored in there - dog/cat food in three different cannisters, etc. I think the cabinets take more of a beating than kitchen cabinets will.

Good luck,
    Ted

Red face Painting kitchen cabinets

First, wash them (all the wood surfaces that you are going to paint) with TSP.
    I'll try to spell it - Trisodium Phosphate.
    You buy it at the hardward store or HD or Lowe's, etc.
    It removes all the grease.
    That's all!
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA