Thread: # 8 plane rehab

# 8 plane rehab

I won't make this too long a thread but I've pretty much finished most of what I intend to do with a #8 C jointer. It came to me pretty clean but with a broken tote. While the Japanning had been cleaned off by some method or other, there was light rust hidden underneath an oily surface coat. Maybe WD 40 applied to protect the surface. Surface rust on the sides and in the sole corrugations - 320 grit sandpaper.

asWas.jpg

I'm including this to show how easy it is to provide simple masking when spray painting, and it's important to keep the area where the frog meets the body clean. Just blue painters tape.

masked.jpg

The biggest part of the job was making a new tote but that also let me resize and reshape it more to my liking.

tote.jpg

The old tote had been screwed from the bottom to repair the major failure, but had also been screwed from the top to repair the horn. I hadn't seen this before.

toteAsWas.jpg

The only other real damage to the plane is a chip in the lever cap which I've read is pretty common. I have my eye out for a raplacement but meanwhile I just smoothed it out. It's not like a damaged chip breaker after all. I may take the sheen off the knob at some point also - but dang it I've got a hand rail, a bread box, a threshold, dock furniture you get the idea. If I'm gonna sell SWMBO on this "hobby" I better keep up with da honey-dos!

And the finished plane with a Lee Valley HC replacement blade. I kind of settled on HC rather than A2 because I find them much easier to maintain and they do get very sharp. I ground the primary bevel and honed this with camber all freehand. Practice and no micro bevels has not made perfect - but I get consistent shavings and yes there is this sound when the planes are cutting right.

plane8.jpg

Last edited by Richard Dooling; 07-27-2009 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Left out an "s" - dang!
    RD

Swiiiiisssshhhh...with kind of a musical quality, that's the sound

Richard, ain't it fun!! I really would like to find an 8, but it won't fit in the till A no. 7 is the limit!

Nice job. What kind of paint did you use?

Hey John. I guess the song a properly tuned plane sings is old hat to lots of folks in this forum, but it's new music to my ears.

I used Krylon satin black. The can says that it dries in ten minutes or less and it worked well on the day I sprayed it. Of course YMMV. I like the look much better than a gloss black I used on a #6. BTW that's the plane that started me using Evaporust. The wood was good but there was LOTS more rust to contend with.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Hey John. I guess the song a properly tuned plane sings is old hat to lots of folks in this forum, but it's new music to my ears.
    A classic tune is always new.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Blog Entries
    Looks nice. From the angle, I can not tell if it is a type 9 or a type 10. Doesn't really matter that much.

I thought I would never bother owning a #8, but now that I have one, I am pondering if I will keep my #7s.

jtk

I think it is a type 9, assuming the iron is original with this plane. It is stamped - "STANLEY" "PAT. AP'L 19, 92" and this matches according to hyper kitten.

You know more about this than I do Jim, is there a better angle to show? Anyway for me it is a solid user - the rest is just fun.

Let me know if you decide to unburden yourself of one of the #7s. I know they are large and take up way too much valuable shop space!

Despite what I said earlier SWMBO is actually pretty cool about this whole thing. She just doesn't quite get it. Heck I'm not sure I do past a point. Everybody who's a "Tool Pig" raise your hand (thanks for the term George).

Hey. now I can't see anything for all the raised hands!!

RD

Oink! Oink! Oink!

Very nice resto

Blog Entries
    I think it is a type 9, assuming the iron is original with this plane. It is stamped - "STANLEY" "PAT. AP'L 19, 92" and this matches according to hyper kitten.

You know more about this than I do Jim, is there a better angle to show? Anyway for me it is a solid user - the rest is just fun.
    The type 9 does not have the frog adjusting screw set up. Yours does look to have the higher arch of the type 10, but this is also found on late type 9s.
    The only difference to my knowledge between a type 10 and a type 11 is the trade mark on the blades and the type 11 includes a 1910 patent date. Though I once bought a type 11 plane with a type 10 blade. Not sure if it was original or what.

Let me know if you decide to unburden yourself of one of the #7s. I know they are large and take up way too much valuable shop space!

Despite what I said earlier SWMBO is actually pretty cool about this whole thing. She just doesn't quite get it. Heck I'm not sure I do past a point. Everybody who's a "Tool Pig" raise your hand (thanks for the term George).

Hey. now I can't see anything for all the raised hands!!

And an Oink, oink, oink to yah!

jim

Here is a better shot of the frog mount. As you can see there is no hole for a frog adjusting screw. So it looks to be a late type 9?

frogArch.jpg

Here is also a pic that I couldn't upload yesterday. I've read that this sort of damage to the lever cap often occured when the cap was used like a screw driver on the blade assembly retaining screw.

leverCap.jpg
    RD

Blog Entries
    Here is a better shot of the frog mount. As you can see there is no hole for a frog adjusting screw. So it looks to be a late type 9?

Here is also a pic that I couldn't upload yesterday. I've read that this sort of damage to the lever cap often occured when the cap was used like a screw driver on the blade assembly retaining screw.
    It is definitely a type 9. Would just about have to see the frog to determine any more. The early type 9 had a shallow square notch. The later type 9 had a deeper notch that was narrower where it met the rib. It is about the same as the later type frogs except for the adjustment screw.

Of course, Stanley did not know feathers about any future type studies, so they just made changes as the ideas came to them.

jim

Looks good, Richard. I'm also a fan of the Krylon satin black. I've used it on several plane restos and really like the look of it. Another bonus is it virtually dries in minutes-gotta love that.

Steve