Thread: What is this tool

What is this tool

I had posted this in two threads and it was suggested I move it to here.
    My daughter gave me this plough plane and I have gotten some good information from others but would like any information you can give me about how to get blades for it.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117961

Blog Entries
    It is a plow plane as people said in the other thread.

I found blades for mine on eBay. They come up every once in a while. Search for >plow plane< or >blades, cutter, iron<.

It has found a little use, but one of the more modern planes like the Stanley 45 or many of the other multi planes will work much better.

Yours looks like there would be a lot involved in making it usable. My guess is it still would not be as good a user as one of the metal planes that replaced them.

jim

I'll second what Jim Koepke has all ready said with regard to both finding blades and restoring the plane you have--with a couple of additional thoughts.

If you're looking for a project, there's no reason you couldn't rebuild this plane if you wanted to. But if you're looking for more immediate results, you'll want to find another plane.

Going with the idea of this plane as a rebuild project, you could make your own cutters for it out of O1 tool steel.