Hello everyone. I am in desperate need of help with finishing a project of mine. I am trying to get a mirror polyurethane finish, but no matter what I do I continue to have problems. My biggest issue is that once I rub out and polish my project, it becomes very glossy, but I can see what looks like smudges and milky white streaks under the finish. I can even rub my finger across the finish and some of the streaks start to gum up and roll off my project.

I have tried wetsanding the finish down and starting the polishing process over again, yet the same thing continues to happen. For the record I started out with Minwax Oil-Based Brush-On Polyurethane and then decided to go with Minwax Oil-Based Spray-On. I wetsanded the final coat the next day and then I let it sit for 2 weeks before rubbing out/polishing it (it has been humid here the last few weeks if that helps at all). For the wetsand I started with 800 grit and finished at 2000 grit and for the polish I used 3M Rubbing Compound, and Meguires Swirl Mark Remover.

Everything looks good until I begin the polishing process, what the heck am I doing wrong guys? I have also heard of the Behlens Rock Hard Table Top Varnish, but I am unsure of the durability and I also heard that the rubbing out process is brutal (I am unable to use a powerful buffer on my projects). I'm not sure what to do next, so now I am coming to the experts, thanks in advance for any and all advice given!