Thread: Who's used Gemini Coatings conventional Lacquers?

Who's used Gemini Coatings conventional Lacquers?

Just wondering if anyone else here's used Gemini Coatings products. I've used several of them and have been happy with the product and the price. I find that some of them dry harder/faster than anything else I've seen offered. I've used most of the Sherwin Williams stuff (LOVOC, HiBild), I've used Deft (very soft for a long time), I've used Trinity and I'll be trying Mohawk next week. Curious if anyone else has tried the Gemini stuff and what your thoughts on it were. I've been very impressed with their support. You don't hear much about them so I figured I'd see if anyone else is using/has used them. I did a google search on a few of their products and didn't find much. But I know I've enjoyed it.

Edit: Link added
    Last edited by Nick Sorenson; 09-08-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Link Added

Which product(s) have you used? What impressed you?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I've used most of the lacquers in their line. I'm trying more now. I tested their poly sealer and clear a few weeks ago. I don't have much poly experience but it seems like it's worked great so far. I have sprayed their High Build and their Water Clear lacquers and am trying a few more this week. So far it seems like the Sherwin Sprays a little better but that the Gem is harder.

Edit: what I should say is that it's harder fast. Sherwin (both I've tried) is gummy and soft for a couple days whereas Gem is hard as a rock (no fingernail print) in around 30 minutes to an hour.

I have been having a lot of trouble with their tinted precat. It just will not flow out. think splotchy-today was 77 degrees with low humidity-still splotchy-the clear
    ultralaq and vinyl sealer spray fine-I have tried thinning with retarder-no luck-I have tried thinning with lacquer thinner-no luck. I just can not get it to lay down like it use to and am looking for solutions. Thanks.

I tried Gemini pre-cat clear and black pigmented lacquers and just couldn't get them to lay down. I tried thinning, retarder, changing my spray technique and nothing seemed to work. At the recommendation of my sales rep, I tried Chem Craft lacquers. I've sprayed both coventional and pre-cat clear lacquers and they work just fine everytime.