Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Desperate Need Of Help On Polyurethane Mirror Finish!

>>>> I will get a can of that stuff and a nice brush and hopefully get some different results this time.

Spend the time to test out the finish and learn the proper brushing techniques. Prepare some panels and apply the finish just as you intend to on the project. Then let it dry and cure for 3-4 weeks. (It takes that long for oil based finish to fully cure) The longer you wait, the better the rub out process will go. Don't do anything with your actual project until you are satisfied with your test panel(s).

Finally, I noted you said you used a 3M Rubbing Compound. You DON'T want to use rubbing compound. You want to use a "polishing" compound. Typically it's white and much finer than rubbing compound.

The typically rubbing out schedule is to start with 600 W&D with the paper mounted on a felt covered flat sanding block and using thinned mineral oil as a lubricant. Wipe off all the residue then move to 1200 grit and do the same thing. Now rub on the polishing compound rubbing in the direction of the grain. You can do it by hand but a buffer is better. But you need to be careful not to burn through the finish. Finally, apply a swirl remover and buff it out.
    Howie.........

Just a note here. I don’t know from nothing about this, and its really old - but – I caught this part in the first post- Quote “Meguires Swirl Mark Remover”. I too was testing how to polish out some Sherwin Williams oil varnish on a test piece. At 4 days old I used some Meguires Gold auto wax and it turned the finish cloudy without even buffing. I know it was too soon, but the solvents in the wax like the scratch remover he used just may be melting ( for lack of a better word) the finish. I think the wax has DNA in it so it drys fast on your car to buff off, and it soften the finish or wipes away the gloss.
    I sould stop staying at the Holiday Inn
    Last edited by Tim Howell; 03-02-2012 at 3:11 AM.