Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #4 or #4 1/2

Wow thanks guys for all the input.

Jim, I'm looking at used right now. Any suggestion on type Stanleys to look for?

David, I'm mostly looking at old Stanley right now. Unless deal on a L.N. comes around.

John,Your no help in this matter. Just helping to spread the illness. You just know I'll end up with both.

Sean, You should seek professional help You have it real bad.

David, Martin, Philip, Thanks for your input as well.

Dominic That's great to see the performance of a LN can been matched with a little tuning.

Well the hunt is on............

Russ, I think it's just a matter of being at it for a while. At first, I had only the Stanley's which all cost less than $100, and most cost less than $30. Next you start getting specialty planes like groovers, rabbets, and such that you need. Then relatives start giving you LN gift certificates and such at holidays, and you try some LN's to fill in the gaps - stuff like the low angle jack, rabbet block, and miter plane. Over the years, it all adds up. I use them all.

By the way, I'm guessing that there are many folks here who have stables that would dwarf mine, and certainly there are those with much more fine sets - all bedrocks or LN or Marcou, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, whoa now. Think of all the planes I don't have:

- no 8
    - no 6
    - no 45 or 55
    - no skew block
    - no skew rabbet
    - no dado plane
    - no wall full of scores of molding planes of every profile
    - no infills
    - no Marcou's
    etc.

In short, I am woefully plane difficient. <sobs>
    Sean,

Funny you should mention a #8: I'm working on a type 11 No. 8C as we speak. I did not spot any Millers Falls in your blatantly obscene photograph. A MF #10 (4 1/2) is possibly my favorite plane - it is quite useful. I have a number of Millers Falls (3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, & 6) and have found them to be excellent users. I do not have any LV or LN's so why don't I swap with you for some Millers Falls..... <gr>.

-Jerry

I came across a stanley 5 1/2 which I did not buy at first, when I went back to get it I spotted a record 04, so of course I bought them both.
    I have not had the chance to tune them up and use them yet, but looking at them I am more intrested in trying out the record 04. The blades seem the same width (o4 and 51/2) but the record is short and solidly hefty.
    Before the influences of this site I was happly planing away with my record #3 and record block plane, stanley was not really on my radar, so it is nice to see a little blue here now and again.
    Cheers Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Petley View Post
    I came across a stanley 5 1/2 which I did not buy at first, when I went back to get it I spotted a record 04, so of course I bought them both.
    I have not had the chance to tune them up and use them yet, but looking at them I am more interested in trying out the record 04. The blades seem the same width (o4 and 51/2) but the record is short and solidly hefty.
    Before the influences of this site I was happly planing away with my record #3 and record block plane, stanley was not really on my radar, so it is nice to see a little blue here now and again.
    Cheers Ron.
    I know we were talking about #4's and 4.1/2's but if you go to that #5.1/2 you will see it should have a wider blade than the #4-it should be 2.3/8th's .BUT: the #5.1/2 is the most versatile size of all the Stanley types (well it is called a Jack Plane for good reason).I suggest you sort that one out well ahead of any #4.
    But if you like to see more blue stuff see here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=231791993 . You can't buy it but might like to see a slightly different one.

Phillip is right - most 5 1/2 bailey pattern planes have a 2 3/8wide blade. However earlier ones were 2 1/4 inches wide and at first glance don't look much wider than a number 4 which is 2 inches. Side by side the difference is clear.
    Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Cash View Post
    Phillip is right - most 5 1/2 bailey pattern planes have a 2 3/8wide blade. However earlier ones were 2 1/4 inches wide and at first glance don't look much wider than a number 4 which is 2 inches. Side by side the difference is clear.
    Cheers
    MC
    Indeed. I just picked up a 5 1/2 and didn't notice that it was a 2 1/4" blade until I got home. The blade is fine, so I'm not worried about replacing it. And should I find that I 'need' a full 2 3/8", I'll just get a LN.

Sean, I'm a really nice person, very pleasant and good-natured.

Can you please leave me your plane collection in your will? And by the way, I hear that unguided parasailing is a really cool sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Oh, and if we're doing pictures:
    I can't compete with most of you, but I just started down this path in May.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt, you probably don't need me to say this..... but, you are on a dead run "down this path."

Nice accumulation there - I hesitate to use the term collection, as that may denote some sort of obsessive illness. Lord knows, you would be the first person to be so afflicted!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Nice accumulation there - I hesitate to use the term collection, as that may denote some sort of obsessive illness. Lord knows, you would be the first person to be so afflicted!
    Oh come now! No 1, 2, 4 1/2, 5 1/4, or 8 (no.3 not pictured ;-) )! No bedrocks! I figure I'll be safe from the virus so long as I keep some holes in the stable. (The 1 and 2 being the easiest way to accomplish that)

I prefer #4-1/2 over #4 as well. I don't care so much about its extra weight, as long as it's balanced for its size. For me, the width of the blade is the major plus. Besides, I have a few good 2-3/8" blades from its bigger brothers, I can swap them around as I need it (I got more than enough 2-3/8" blades of all kinds). I have a #4, but I have no other planes use with 2" blade in my arsenal, so it's kind of a bugger to buy blades only for this one (but I have a M2 and stock HC blade for that one, so I guess it'll last a while).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    Wow thanks guys for all the input.

Jim, I'm looking at used right now. Any suggestion on type Stanleys to look for?
    That depends a lot on your preference. My accumulation is all over the place, type 4 through type 13. My opinion is the best Stanley/Bailey planes were made from 1902 - ~1930. Others will surely have different opinions. Some like the planes made during WW II because of the heavier casting.

My preference is for short knobs. That does not mean others shouldn't go for a tall knob.

Smooth vs corrugated soles is another area of personal preferences.

The beauty of many folks all type 11s or any other type is awe inspiring. But there is a place in my heart for each one of my "mutts."

One of my planes is a pre-lateral and it works fine and has shown me a lateral adjuster is convenient, but using a small mallet to adjust the blade side to side is also easy.

The other oddity is type 6 and earlier planes adjusters have a right hand thread. The late type 6 and after use a left hand thread on the adjusters.

This is not a big problem for me. It could be for others.

If you have not fettled much on planes, it may be helpful to start with some #4s. The #4 is one of the most common sizes to be found. That makes them cheap.

Of course, if a good deal on a Bedrock #604-1/2 or #604 comes along, don't hesitate to "go for the gold."

When a little pick me up is needed, all I have to do is think back to the trip through Astoria Oregon that lead me to a deal on a type 6 #4-1/2.

If a Sargent, Millers Falls or some other good user plane came up, it would be considered if the price was right.

John,Your no help in this matter. Just helping to spread the illness. You just know I'll end up with both.
    He has been infected by the bug and now he is a carrier...

Well the hunt is on............

Happy rust hunting, here comes the week end.

jim

Russ - You might just as well get both just so you'll have all your bases covered! (Then you can take a pic too! )
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If there can be only one then a 4 1/2.