Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #4 or #4 1/2

Marcou Planes

Quote Originally Posted by philip marcou View Post
    I know we were talking about #4's and 4.1/2's but if you go to that #5.1/2 you will see it should have a wider blade than the #4-it should be 2.3/8th's .BUT: the #5.1/2 is the most versatile size of all the Stanley types (well it is called a Jack Plane for good reason).I suggest you sort that one out well ahead of any #4.
    But if you like to see more blue stuff see here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=231791993 . You can't buy it but might like to see a slightly different one.
    I am sorry as I am going to hijack this thread just a bit to see if I can get some good information. Because I am just unsure as to how many people actually own one of Philip's planes I am also going to post this on several other boards where I am a member.

Okay, with that out of the way here is what I am looking for. A very good friend of mine on another board just ordered a S20A from Philip. I am also extremely interested in a Marcou plane and in particular the S55A. My question is does anyone on this board own a Marcou and would they be so kind as to post what you have and perhaps how it performs in relationship to a Lie-Nielsen, Veritas, etc.

To give you a bit of a background I have slowly over the last few years moved to the hand tool side of woodworking and absolutely enjoying it. The lack of sawdust, noise, the feel of the wood, etc. all of the things that you all know so well. At this point I have approx. 25 LN planes and seven Veritas. I have really become a LN junkie and because of that it is so hard for me to believe that the Marcou can perform all that much better. I do understand the beauty and the one off production of each plane and that alone is almost enough for me to pull the trigger.

Anyway, I again apologize for the hijacking and upfront thank whomever may be able to help. Just as an aside I kind of liken many of the planes made today like the Groz, Anant and the non sweetheart Stanley's of the last few years as a Ford. I se the LN, Clifton's & Veritas as Mercedes, BMWs and Lexus in no particular order. I then see the Marcou, Sauer and Steiner and Holtey as well as the other super high end planes as Lamborghini's Ferrari's and Bugatti's.

Thank you again,

Fred

Fred, I looked high and low, and then found this on my shelf...

I do have a complete review, with comparison against the Veritas BUS and LN #4 1/2 at http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...0Smoother.html

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

I do have a complete review, with comparison against the Veritas BUS and LN #4 1/2 at http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...0Smoother.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

What a marvelous review by you and the other two gentlemen. Have you by any chance had the opportunity to try any of Philip's other planes? Regardless, you make it very, very hard not to purchase a Marcou.

I asked this on the Australian board as well. Have any of you guys looked at possibly purchasing a Marcou and did not do so? I understand the pricing issue but really want to know if you had any other reason. Thank you again.

Fred

Marcou Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

I apologize but I meant to congratulate you on your Marcou and say that should you like to send it to me, I will be glad to write a review for you. I know, it is hard to believe I can be that nice but it is true. My review should take no longer than 15-20 years but it will be exceedingly thorough.

Fred

I thought I was sick. You guys need to find a 12 step program.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I thought I was sick. You guys need to find a 12 step program.
    Bill
    How many planes do I need to buy to complete the 12 step program?

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    How many planes do I need to buy to complete the 12 step program?
    I thought it was 12. I have completed the program almost three times and I am still buying planes....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    I thought it was 12. I have completed the program almost three times and I am still buying planes....
    I thought it was 12 of the same model and type.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

12 Step LN/Marcou

Jerry,

I am right there with you but part of my problem is that I am not sure how to work my 12 step program when I have the majority of my planes with one company. Do you receive some kind of dispensation or is it considered worse? So many question and yet regardless I keep buying planes as well. The other issue is if you buy three or four Marcou how does that rate to 28 LN? Is is purely hypothetical as right now I have no Marcou.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fred west1 View Post
    Jerry,

The other issue is if you buy three or four Marcou how does that rate to 28 LN? Is is purely hypothetical as right now I have no Marcou.

Fred
    I'm sure that Phillip could assist you with that segment of your recovery....

Marcou Fiscal Stimulus Recovery Program

I'm sure that Phillip could assist you with that segment of your recovery....
    Jerry,

Correct me if I am wrong and I do think that the Marcou Fiscal Stimulus Recovery Plan has a beautiful ring to it but isn't the idea of the 12 step program to NOT buy more because if it is the other way, well let's just say I will be joining many of them tomorrow.

I love the picture of your dog. I attached pictures of my three. They are my boys.

Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fred, if you want to branch out, but don't have the scratch for one of PM's beauties, do what I'm doing, and take a plunge into building Krenov style. The blade/breaker sets are inthe $50 range, and you probably have the wood already.

Jerry,

Correct me if I am wrong and I do think that the Marcou Fiscal Stimulus Recovery Plan has a beautiful ring to it but isn't the idea of the 12 step program to NOT buy more because if it is the other way, well let's just say I will be joining many of them tomorrow.

I love the picture of your dog. I attached pictures of my three. They are my boys.

Fred
    Fred - in an earlier post you noted that you regarded Marcou, Konrad Sauer and Holtey as high-end sports cars. What I'll note is that a Holtey infill will cost you approximately 3-4 times what a Konrad Sauer of the same design and size will cost, and perhaps as much as 6 times as much as one of Phillips. And about 10 times as much as one you didn't mention - Ron Brese. You also have the option of Wayne Anderson, who does something a little different. His infills aren't a close reproduction of any one particular historic brand (such as Spiers or Norris).

One other thing to realize is that Philip generally makes a different design than Holtey, Sauer, Anderson, Brese - his are bevel-up, non-infill planes. Anyway, if knowing that you'll be spending 1/6th as much as a Holtey for one of Philip's planes provides an excuse, you're welcome.

Jerry,

Fred
    Thanks, Fred! Here's a recent shot of Mr. Banjo watching me cook dinner:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marcou Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Fred, if you want to branch out, but don't have the scratch for one of PM's beauties, do what I'm doing, and take a plunge into building Krenov style. The blade/breaker sets are inthe $50 range, and you probably have the wood already.
    Sean,

That sounds great. Have you built any of them yet and if so how did it turn out?

Fred