Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your cradle

Show me your cradle

Now that LOML is pregnant with our first child, I need to start planning for the baby's room. Many members have built cradles loosely based on this plan from Rockler or Woodcraft with some variations. Please show me your cradle so I can start thinking about how I want to build mine.

Thanks!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan,
    If you really want something that will last and be worth your limited time right now you might want to think about building a crib. You really only use a cradle for a limited amount of time...maybe 6 months or less. Depending on if you are going to use a co-sleeper etc. your baby will got into a crib and be there for quite a while.

My wife liked the rockler plan so I built one which is a 3 step crib. Goes from a crib to a day bed to a full size bed changing out the parts. I also built one for a friend which was different than the original rockler plan and I actually like the way that one turned out better.

Greg

This might be one of the only topics on SMC where I feel like I can speak with a modicum of authority, not by virtue of any particular woodworking skill, but from recent breeding experience.

Huge +1 on the crib, particularly the crib that can be converted (sing Transformers theme song now).

We only used our bassinet for a couple months, and are about to move the three month old to his crib. We did the same with our (now) 2 year old.

The caveat is that you and your LOYL probably have a tremendous amount of nervous energy and frenzied acitivity right now. For me, that translated into a complete lack of woodworking productivity. I could no more have build one of those things during my wife's pregnancies than fly to the moon. But maybe you can focus that energy better than I could. The good news is you have more time than you think you have (remaining term of pregnancy + 3 months). Bad news is once the kiddo arrives, you will be completely sleep deprived and should probably not operate power tools.

Congrats!

John

Regarding the crib. A good friend of ours is giving us a beautiful crib and a few other pieces that we will need. The cradle is the only thing that I think we can use and given that this is our first child, will hopefully be used again and passed down in time.

Dan

BTW... I think there was a hidden gloat in my first post.

Crib

+3 on the crib versus cradle. I entertained the same thoughts when my wife was pregnant with our first. Cradles sound cute, but tend to be too small for them to move around much in and like the other guys mentioned, can only be used for a few short months.

Instead, I opted for a crib built using the Rockler plans with the tapered slats. Made it and a matching dresser out of Jatoba and they came out great!!! Another plus is it can be converted to a twin bed just like John mentioned.

Regards,

John

I built a Wood magazine cradle for our Great Grand daughter. It wasn't used that much as mothers use the windup swings now. But they can always be used for dolls if the little one is a girl (usually).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 07-24-2009 at 8:32 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    BTW... I think there was a hidden gloat in my first post.
    Congrats

Here’s one I made in 2003 for my daughters first daughter (my third granddaughter).
    It’s had two more grandkids through it with another one coming next month.
    Here’s my original post on it: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=2801

I have to agree that it is a lot of work for only 2-3 months of use but the moms love it and that’s what it’s all about, right?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My wife is due August 24th with my first baby...

I thought of building a crib and have a whole bunch of nice dowels to use, however I am so busy doing other things to get ready, I have no time to be making a crib.

The crib we added to the registry is the versatile type that I can convert into a twin size bed when the girl gets older.

Sadly enough, the wife wanted a baby dresser so she got the Malm one from Ikea.

I do plan on making a dresser eventually, and when that time comes, the Ikea one shouldn't have too much trouble reselling on Craigslist...

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World

My Daughter and Son-By- Law with the twins

JEFF

It May Not Get As Much Use, But It's Still Here

I built that plan 36 years ago. I agree it doesn't get as much use as a crib, but I still have the cradle. It's been through 3 kids and 4 grandkids. As soon as someone gets pregnant in this family, we have to ship off the cradle. I was in the Air Force at the time, so I made it so you could disconnect the uprights from the base and pack it into a box to move. Used brass bolts and T-nuts. I also made it so it could rock and swing. Word to the wise - DON'T. Once the kid learns to roll a little, they move over to one side, the cradle tilts, and they can't get back. Also put a 1"x3" brass plaque on the uprights for each child with their name and birthdate. Pretty good family tradition.

Here is the cradle I made 10 years ago for our daughter. The plans came from Cherry Tree.
    Scott

Dan,

I made two of these. Luckily my daughters picked the same design.

This one was in white oak with a mission finish. The other was in walnut with a natural finish.

Make sure your plans allow for a standard size mattress. I believe 18" x 36" is fairly common.

Happy building.

Cliff

Cliff, where did you get the plans for your crib? It is much closer to the style that my wife and I would prefer.

Thanks,

Dan

Here is a pic of the last one I built about 8 months ago.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner