Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band saw Dust Collection Photos

Band saw Dust Collection Photos

Greetings fellow Creekers:

The new Oneida is hungry for some band saw dust but getting the six inch hose into two four inch ports is a little vexing.

Over the years I've seen several photos here of shop made systems to collect the dust from band saws.

If you've got some of those photos stashed away in your hard drive or the link to the original thread, would you please post them here? Perhaps we can gather all the good ideas in one place.

Second, what is the best way to enlarge a four inch port on a machine. Drill holes and then cut with a jig saw or reciprocating saw? Just drill a starter hole and start cutting with the saw? Or plug the original four inch port and cut a new six inch port?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom, now in Georgia, and almost ready to post pics of the new shop.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Hi Tom, I have a 17" band saw with 2 X 4" ports, that don't work very well at all.

The issue is that a lot of the dust leaves the blade before it gets into the bottom enclosure.

I have a high tech carboard hood that's bungee corded under the table of my band saw. It seems to work better than the factory ports.

Regards, Rod.

this is what I bought

to go from 1 - 6" to 2 - 4" hoses - the nice folks at clearvue cyclones make it

I have it for my bandsaw & shaper
    Attached Images Attached Images

I postsed some pics on my thread "band saw finished...finally!". The forum will not let me repost them on another thread. If you go there you can see them. I do not have the 6" port issue, though. Just one 4".

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116726

Pics of the dust collection are near the end of the thread.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Tom,

Here is an old thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22218

My pictures are on the bottom of the first page.

Mark

Not trying to hijack the thread but Erik have you found any issues with reduced flow on that adapter? Everything I've read seems to indicate that T's will result in lost air flow. So I've been trying to come up with a Clear cleanout and wye all in one device. With a little modification this might fit the bill, but I'd be concerned about how much lost air flow the box really causes? Do you think you see anything significant?
    Last edited by Thomas Syrotchen; 07-31-2009 at 3:39 PM.

I designed a 4" dust collection port for my 14" Delta. Does as good of a job as the Delta unit. But Wood magazine owns the rights to it, so I can't post it right now.

Well, once again the Creek comes through.

Thanks for the responses.

Rod, the the high tech cardboard is my kind of solution: any pics available?

Erik, the 6" to 2-4" box looks like it could be shopmade!

Mike, getting that hose up by the blade has got to be the secret to good collection.

Mark, the pics of the plumbing on your saw are very helpful. I'd spend two days and six trips to Lowe's attempting that on the fly.

Thanks for all the help.

Tom, in Georgia, off to plumb the band saw.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Tom, you probably have already reached some conclusions, and may have already headed to Lowe's!! But, FWIW, this is how I brought my DC to the bandsaw - prior to runnning the 4" flex to the ports.

And, though I have not done it yet, Russ Massery drilled a series of holes in the cast iron just above the top port that really helped with collection from the lower guide area. That is on my list of things to do.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, how do you have the upper 2" (?) hose fixed to the BS? That may be an option to the holes in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    to go from 1 - 6" to 2 - 4" hoses - the nice folks at clearvue cyclones make it

I have it for my bandsaw & shaper
    Wouldn't this have a ton of turbulance? I'd think one would want smooth transitions, and not a box?

John, is there something about that pipe wrench I can't see????? It looks WAY too small for that 6" pipe!!

I think John's way of splitting the 6" into two 4" for the BS is the best idea. You keep roughly the same area of pipe, and therefore CFM in the 6" pipe that way. My MM E16 only has one 100mm hook up, but it has a ZCI in the top of the lower cabinet for the blade to go through before it gets to the bottom cavity, and there seems to be very little wood chips and dust in the bottom of the cabinet. I've not use it a ton, but I've never cleaned it out either.
    By the way, 4" S&D 2729 is a nice tight fit on the outside of the 100mm port on the MM bandsaw. But I do wish they would put the adaptor port on the motor side of the saw instead of the brake side. (DC port placement is a pet peeve of mine.) Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Glenn, how do you have the upper 2" (?) hose fixed to the BS? That may be an option to the holes in the base.
    The rigid flex hose just stays where you put it. I use the same hose on my DP. Stretch it up to where you want it and it will pretty much stay there. Lee Valley seems to have the best price (when there's free shipping) but Rockler and others carry it. There is a wire loop in the outer edge of the "ribs". I kind-of pops open at each rib and can be popped into a bent position as well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...0&d=1219719683
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Excellent! Thanks, Glenn - that and a wye are on my list! I didn't take the DC to my drill press - yet. I don't seem to do that much on it that requires much clean up.