Thread: Need Help in Kansas!

Need Help in Kansas!

Hello all,

I am a newbie to hand tools, and woodworking in general. Now that I have a couple books and spent some considerable time in this forum and numerous blogs, I am wanting to start acquiring some tools.

Is there anybody on this forum that is in the Topeka or Kansas City area that would be willing to show me a few things? I am just looking for some initial guidance on the various ways I can use each of my planes, and how to properly sharpen on my waterstones (even better if you use Chris Schwarz's 1000/4000/8000 set, and/or know David Charlesworth's ruler trick!).

I live in Topeka and work in Kansas City, so either area would work.

Please! There has to be a Neander Miyagi close by! (Show me... varnish on... varnish off...)

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Peace,
    Jason

sent you a PM, you are welcome here anytime.

On the sharpening, Sorry, I don't use any jigs or fixtures or waterstones. Just my hands and a coupla oil stones.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Jason,

I certainly won't claim to rise to the Mr Miyagi level of neanderhood, but if you'd like, I'd be willing to get together sometime.

I live in Overland Park.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I live in Silver Lake and work in KC. But unfortunately if I offered to help, it would be the blind leading the blind. However, Don was kind enough to show me some things about hand tools about two months ago, and he is being modest. I know I sure learned a lot.

Hey Jacob,

Did you ever get your planes sorted out? As I recall, you had a #4 with the wrong chipbreaker and a #5 with a bum frog or something like that...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    Hey Jacob,

Did you ever get your planes sorted out? As I recall, you had a #4 with the wrong chipbreaker and a #5 with a bum frog or something like that...
    Yes and no. I just purchased the LV BU planes. So I think I am set.

Getting to use your LNs really showed me what I should be looking for in a plane. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my planes working.
    Therefore, my old planes, are going up for sale. The #7 had the wrong chipbreaker, and Walt at Brasscity has refused to help. He won't return emails, or phone calls. Supremely frustrating. The #4 I bought from a fellow creeker, and the plane simply does not work right. Nuf said. So this is what I plan on doing:

1. Sell the #7 with full disclosures concerning the chipbreaker; and
    2. Use the #4 as a nice door stop.

The whole thing turned me off of old planes. Just wasn't worth the frustration and inability to know what I was getting.

thanks again for your help.

Well, that's too bad. But you can't go wrong with the LV planes. You know what you're getting and can count on first class service too.

Old planes (and old tools in general) can be turned into great users, but you were just unlucky with your first two. That sort of thing can leave a bad taste in your mouth...

Jason,

I'm in Lansing, KS. I'd be happy to show you what I know--which is a lot less than Jr. Strasil or Don Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Weaver View Post
    Hello all,

I am a newbie to hand tools, and woodworking in general. Now that I have a couple books and spent some considerable time in this forum and numerous blogs, I am wanting to start acquiring some tools.

Is there anybody on this forum that is in the Topeka or Kansas City area that would be willing to show me a few things? I am just looking for some initial guidance on the various ways I can use each of my planes, and how to properly sharpen on my waterstones (even better if you use Chris Schwarz's 1000/4000/8000 set, and/or know David Charlesworth's ruler trick!).

I live in Topeka and work in Kansas City, so either area would work.

Please! There has to be a Neander Miyagi close by! (Show me... varnish on... varnish off...)

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Peace,
    Jason
    Jason -

Not going to be an immediate solution for you but I believe in October (need to confirm), Mack Dressler will be giving the program at the KC Woodworker's Guild monthly meeting on chisel sharpening etc.

Also, we (KCWG) have kicked off the handtool SIG. PM me and I can see about finding you some help through the guild with sharpening. I'm working toward teaching myself how to use the waterstones, switching to them from sandpaper.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Thank you!

Wow,

I didn't expect so many responses in such a small amount of time!

Junior, Don, & Phillip -- thank you for the offers!

Jacob - it is nice to know there is another newbie close by, as well as someone who can appreciate my commute!

Rob - I will definitely be PMing you. I did look at the KCWG website, as there doesn't seem to be anything going on here in the Topeka area. I have wanted to visit one of the monthly meetings since May, but have been out of town for work twice and had to be in Topeka the night of the other.

Junior & Phillip - I will have to take a rain check on your invitations, as they are a little too far for me to go with my schedule. Phillip - I worked with a program at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary for two years, and went through Lansing every Wednesday!

Don - I work in Olathe, but I try to stay with family one night a week to save some money on the commute and they live around 75th & Nall. I would truly appreciate some guidance. I will PM you my contact info.

Thanks again everyone!

Peace,
    Jason

I have been watching the Woodcraft ads (classes section) hoping for a plane tune up lesson. I think I am getting the hang of sharpening (STILL working on the patience aspect), but a sharp plane will do no good, if not adjusted properly. (and I am still learning).

The thing that has always killed me, is odd work hours (miss the CL deals, the guild days, etc.).
    If someone would set one up, PLEASE consider posting at least two weeks ahead of time (really hard to get time off).

Thank you!

I might as well throw this out there too. Last year we had a Neander roundup at my house. Jr brought his tools and we invited any neanders (or anyone who was simply curious) to drop by and play around. We didn't get all that many who showed up, but we had fun anyway.

We didn't have any "classes" per se, but we did discuss and get a bit of hands on practice at everything from plane fettling/tune ups to saw sharpening to workbench construction and all points in between.

I've mentioned to Jr that we should do it again this year sometime in the early fall. So, keep your eyes open for the announcement. We have to finalize a date and a place. We can still do it at my house, I don't have the greatest facilities for such a gathering but it's free...

Don, I would be extremely interested in attending a Neander session at your place or wherever, please keep me posted.

I am in St Joseph, and would be happy to host a small gathering. My shop would cut the distance in half for Jr, if he is willing to come to "St Jo" to share his knowledge - we could all benefit!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Another one

Jason,

I live in Overland Park and work hand tools quite a bit. I currently am carving a set of legs for a Philadelphia style chippendale table. You would be welcome to come by on one of your nights in town.

And I second Rob's invite to the KC WW guild. There is a ton going on and there are lots of skilled hand tool guys like Rob.

Look forward to meeting you in the future, Cal.