Thread: So what do you do when the bandsaw dies...

So what do you do when the bandsaw dies...

Make a bowsaw!

Who'd a thunk it... As I laid out the bowsaw design on the wood I realised since the bandsaw is dead I'll need a bowsaw so I can make a bowsaw to replace the bandsaw... I have a coping saw that I was sure wasn't going to go the distance in cutting out the parts. So for the most part it was made with various spoke shaves and chisels. The handles and tightening thingy were turned. It's quite a bit heavier than a typical bowsaw but so far that hasn't been a detriment. Now back to my original project...

It's made of australian woods so that pretty much means it's some sort of gum wood. The handles are a type of red coloured gum and the rest is some sort of other red coloured gum - I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    It's quite a bit heavier than a typical bowsaw.....
    But not near as heavy as the bandsaw!!!

Nice job, and whatever the woods are, they look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Make a bowsaw!

It's made of australian woods so that pretty much means it's some sort of gum wood. The handles are a type of red coloured gum and the rest is some sort of other red coloured gum - I think.
    Brian - very nice effort, it's a pretty tool (I have a weak spot for aesthetics in tools - it's not only about function). One comment, though - your new saw will of course allow you to cut curves like your bandsaw, but probably won't work so well to replace the re-saw function of the power tool. If you're truly interested in chucking the dead bandsaw and going to all meat-powered tools, you might want to search the Neander forum for Bob Easton's posts - he's pretty far along with making and using a frame saw for resawing stock - there's a lot of good observations about small things that affect the performance of one of these.

Nice work on the bowsaw.

ye forgot the 2 handiest tools a neander can have and/or use, the drawknife and shaving horse. And when you make the horse, make the slanted work surface removable, so you can make a vertical head too. Or, improvise one on a common saw horse.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Dave, Harry Thx for the suggestions.

I think a re-saw would be a good addition; once the original project that I needed the bowsaw for is done - which at the rate I'm going now will be about 6 months.

Since I've pretty much gone electron free (except for the cordless drill, grinder and lathe) I'm liking the idea of the shaving horse. Possibly with some sort of articulated/rotating holder for doing legs and such. Look like a more comfortable position to wile away the day making shavings than leaning over a bench.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

FWIW, I have a bad back so leaning is a no/no. so my benches are taller.

Even my shop made table saw behind me in the picture is built tall.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand