Thread: Custom Closets

Custom Closets

I really haven't been doing alot of scrolling lately except for a class that I've been teaching for some of the Seniors here in Midlothian at a place called -LLI( Lifetime Learning Institute).It's a place where seniors can go to learn all sorts of things like pottery, painting, history and I've been doing a class on intarsia. Been lots of fun and the participants have really had a good time watching me put together a Rose Jewelry Box.

What has really been keeping me busy is a large commission for a customer which entails building custom cabinets and shelving for their walk-in closets. Now, I don't normally take on such a large project but I've done smaller projects for this customer in the past and when he said that he wanted the woodworking to- look like art, well I just couldn't say no. So I took some measurements and drew a few sketches and they agreed on a price so here I go.

This project will use 550 bd ft of Jatoba .

Each closet will consist of a sweater cabinet,a shoe rack and shelving with rods for clothes to hang on. They selected the oil rubbed bronze rods($5 a foot) and all shelving will have decorative inlays to set it off. With this much lumber I definitely had to go into production mode .There will be lots of edge gluing of boards for the side panels and shelves so I started by setting up the router table with extentions to handle the long boards for biscuit jointing using a slot cutting bit.

These are the first 7' x 16" glued up panels for the sweater cabinet.

Here is the first completed wall of the first closet. I'm now working on the shoe rack.

I didn't even make it out the door after the install and she already had her sweaters in the cabinet!!!

Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

That's going to be a stunning closet, Mike. 550 feet of jatoba.. whoa. I'm glad someone out there can afford the wood and labor to go in a closet. I had to borrow a dollar yesterday to get a can of beenie-weinies..

Nice build and congratulations on the commission...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

That is going to be one great looking closet when finished Mike.
    Make sure to give us some pics when its done.

This is one of those threads that my wife can't see.
    Great job again.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    This is one of those threads that my wife can't see.
    Great job again.
    You've got that right!

Mike, that is a fantastic closet. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps