Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grinding wheel balancer

grinding wheel balancer

Got a few questions here...

I have a Ryobi grinder that I picked up from HD a few years ago. I've been getting some hand tools that I would like to use the grinder on to put a hollow grind on them. I've got a Veritas grinding jig along with a Norton cool grinding wheel to put on the grinder. Would like to use this, but I can't even use the grinding jig because the grinder vibrates so badly upon startup. It does seem to quiet down at full speed, but it will beat the crap out of my grinding jig if I start the grinder with the jig hugging the wheel.

So I figured I'd get a grinding wheel balancer. What I found was the Oneway system. I thought the balancer was something completely different. I had envisioned a disc you mounted on the outside of the grinding wheel with some ball bearings that float freely in a track to help balance it. From what I can gather with the Oneway system, you actually balance the grinding wheel itself. Basically what you're doing is making sure the OD of the wheel is concentric with the shaft diameter?

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the Oneway system is what I need and if it will work with what I have. I only have the one Norton wheel and left the OEM wheel on the other side. I'm assuming I'd need to balance both wheels, so will the Oneway be capable of balancing both types of grinding wheels? Otherwise I'm going to have to go with a different system. Thanks for any help.

I was going to explain it but heres a linik to the instruction manual.
    It works really well makes my grinder run very smooth. I did have to buy new wheels with 1" bores

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/balance_kit.pdf

I bought the Oneway balancing system for a Delta 8" variable speed grinder. It does seem to work pretty well, but there is a quirk you need to be aware of.

You buy the Oneway based upon the diameter of the shaft on your grinder. However the diamater for the grinding wheel now needs to be larger for the Oneway insert to fit in it.

For my Delta, it has a 5/8" shaft. The wheels that come with the grinder are 5/8", so I could no longer use them, once I got the Oneway.

is the grinder it's self out of balance, or just the current wheels?
    -Dan

If you are going to be changing wheels frequently, what you need is an old blacksmith trick.

1. using a felt tip or grease pencil, put a line from the center out on the paper center on the wheel.

2. mount the wheel on the grinder with the mark straight up and put the flange and nut on and tighten it up.

3. start the grinder and use a wheel dresser to make the wheel round and therefore balanced.

do this with all the wheels you are going to use. and always put the mark up when changing wheels.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Variation on Harry's suggestion

A small add-on to Harry's suggestion is....if your wheels are out of balance now....(1) loosen (2) rotate the wheel 20 or so degrees, keeping the flanges in the same position (3) re-tighten and try your grinder again. Continue until (maybe) your grinder runs smoothly. Essentially matching imperfections in the flanges with imperfections in the wheel (I told this to another guy and he boiled it down to that!).

I used this technique replacing wheel on my Woodcraft grinder with a Norton wheel and process worked like a champ -- grinder was moving all about the bench when I started!

What some people are missing is that the wheel is not necessarily perfectly uniform in density, so it could be perfectly round and perfectly concentric to the axle and still be out of balance.

On my grinder this doesn't seem to be enough of a problem to cause me to buy the Oneway balancer thing.

Blog Entries
    As Chris states, my wheels are dressed and cleanly circular but, out of balance. If I start to use the grinder for other than just rough stuff, I would consider the OneWay but cha-ching!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't know what is out of balance. I have it mounted to a 1" thick table, probably 2 feet deep and 4' long. Left to it's own devices, it will walk that table all over the floor on start-up and shut down. I'm hoping the wheels are what are out of balance and not the grinder itself, but it wouldn't surprise me if the grinder itself was out of whack.

I don't plan on swapping wheels out often. In fact, I'd prefer to not swap at all until I need to replace the wheel itself. I'll watch the video and see if I can't get a better understanding of what the wheel balancer does.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Carr View Post
    I don't know what is out of balance. I have it mounted to a 1" thick table, probably 2 feet deep and 4' long. Left to it's own devices, it will walk that table all over the floor on start-up and shut down. I'm hoping the wheels are what are out of balance and not the grinder itself, but it wouldn't surprise me if the grinder itself was out of whack.
    This is pretty easy to check, take both the wheels off and then run the grinder. If the grinder is good (I'm betting it is) it will be nice and quiet with no vibrations.

Another potential issue is arbor slop( the through hole in the wheel being much bigger than the arbor). Depending on the slop this can be fixed with anything from a few turns of paper to a custom bushing.

The next possible issue is that the wheel is out of round or unevenly loaded with grinding swaf, this can easily be fixed with a $3 silicon carbide dressing stick.
    -Dan

Well, I doubt it's loaded with grinding swarf as I've only used the one grinding wheel a time or two and the norton wheel is untouched. I'll take both wheels off and see what happens. May motivate myself to get out there some time this weekend. It's been a wee bit hot here at over 110 degrees, and my garage is even hotter.

Wouldn't surprise me if I had some arbor slop, but I doubt it's more than .020 or so. I'll check that also.

Wouldn't surprise me if I had some arbor slop, but I doubt it's more than .020 or so. I'll check that also.
    If it's off that much, it could definitely make your bench walk across the shop.
    -Dan

So, will this Oneway system even work on my grinder? Sounds like I'll need to buy at least one more grinding wheel to account for the Oneway insert? It sounds like this is what the jig is designed for anyways.

May try Jim's suggestion and see if I can't get the balance worked out by trial and error, but I don't know how easy that's going to be. To narrow my variables, can I remove one wheel so I can balance each one individually? This is the only way I can see of getting this method to work, but I don't know about the safety issues with only one wheel attached.

So, will this Oneway system even work on my grinder? Sounds like I'll need to buy at least one more grinding wheel to account for the Oneway insert? It sounds like this is what the jig is designed for anyways.

May try Jim's suggestion and see if I can't get the balance worked out by trial and error, but I don't know how easy that's going to be. To narrow my variables, can I remove one wheel so I can balance each one individually? This is the only way I can see of getting this method to work, but I don't know about the safety issues with only one wheel attached.
    The Oneway system requires the grinder wheel have a 1" arbor hole. Given this, you also then need to order the Oneway system which fits your arbor shaft (you get a replacement flange with the Oneway system).

Good point on the variable of 2 wheels -- in my case I had a smooth grinder, replaced a wheel and then had a walking grinder. Obvious even to me where the problem was so the incremental wheel rotation happened to be an easy fix.

I use and love the OneWay balancing system...for my HSS and PM turning tools. But I never put my Neander hand tools to a grinder unless it's to repair some severe damage. Grinders generate way too much heat and it's so easy and quick to ruin a tool. Chisels and plane irons get worked on water stones in my shop. No heat damage potential that way and a very keen edge with my 8000 finishing stone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...