Thread: Carb-Tech bits anyone?

Question Carb-Tech bits anyone?

This may be a day late and a dollar short, but I didn't have any time to research this one before I made the purchase. The "purchase" being a grab-bag of 1/2" shank router bits, plus two rosette cutters for a real good price (I though so, anyway!) At any rate, the bulk of them are Carb-tech bits. Now I realize they won't rank as high as the Whitesides, Amana's, Freud's, CMT's and the such. Still, I'd like to hear from past/present users. The main reason being, a couple look like they could use a little dressing up in the sharpening dept. and I'm wondering if it would be worth the expense. Appreciate any info...
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 03-23-2003 at 9:22 AM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I don't know Carb - tech as a brand.
    Just in case you read it wrong, Carb-I-Tool is an Australian manufacturer of router bits and cutters and the product is OK.
    Here is some information: http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html/about_us.html

John,

The Carb-Tech bits I have used were bought at my local Woodworkers Warehouse. Actually, this is the only place that I have ever seen them. I am a hobbyist and have used them for mostly everything that I've built. They seem to do the job so far. Haven't had any mishaps as far as quality goes and for the amount of use they have gotten are still sharp enough to cut well.
    I have other brands as well in my arsenal and they have all cut well for me. Maybe I've been lucky, don't know. You probably need more opinions but you already have the bits so I guess that doesn't really matter. Before you sharpen the the bits that you think need sharpening, why don't you try them on some scrap to see if you're right. May save you some time if they are cutting well enough.....Danny

I also boughy mine at woodworkers Warehouse. I haven't had to have any sharpened yet but they have worked well so far.

Good luck with your bits.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Same here, bought a drawer lock bit from them and used for my miter station and was very satisfied with the results.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Hi John,
    Carb-Tech is a WW brand name. I have several of them but prefer Freud. The differences are subtle but they do exist. I try to avoid them. Then again, if I found a great deal on them, I'd be all over it. :-)
    As for sharpening, I don't think I'd bother unless the results you get using them are just completely unacceptable.

Craig