Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cut Black Walnut Tree

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Making and drying boards for one tree is not very feasible (economically or otherwise) unless you own a sawmill yourself (and not really even then). The best thing you could do with it is sell it to turners. Take your profits from that and buy kiln dried walnut boards if that is what you want. You will come out ahead in the long run.
    Ryan, I have to disagree with your theory. Last summer, I had the opportunity to have a walnut tree milled into lumber. It was actually two trees that had been cut down on the school grounds where my wife worked in the business office. It cost me a total of around $400 to get the trees from log form to lumber form. That is including the sawyer fee, some supplies for stacking and end waxing and paying two helpers for the process. After calculating how much board feet I had, I ended up with Around $1,400.00 worth of nice walnut lumber. A nice $1,000.00 difference. I would say that that is significant.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I have cut up quite a number of "yard" trees over the past few years. Yes, my sawyer(s) has hit loads of nails, fence staples, shotgun BB's, copper pipes, you name it. I always warn him where I got the trees from and tell him up front that I'll work with him if he wrecks blades. I have no doubt that I'm still coming out ahead in lumber value. The only exception would be if you're milling white oak. Iron stains it purple/black and one small nail can stain many board feet of lumber so you take your chances if you mill that species. Otherwise, I would say mill that tree and enjoy your lumber.

David,

$.15/bd-ft is a very very good rate to have a log sawn. Most sawyers charge a minimum of $.25, and many charge $.35.

Be nice to that sawyer!

Yard trees can make some fine lumber, even with the metal issues. However, there is a myth about yard tree value. Many people hear about the $25,000 walnut tree that someone sold, and they think then that their yard tree walnut must be worth that much too. Well, that is not true, and it makes for some disappointed landowners who find that they have to actually have to pay someone to take down that 12" walnut tree just outside their bedroom window .