Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass Shape Punching?

Brass Shape Punching?

Does anyone here know how to punch small shapes through thin metal like brass shim stock? I know my laser won't do anything, but who can make a punch I can use with a hammer to punch out holes like a teardrop shape or similar? Would it be a machinist? Tool & die maker? I don't know where to start looking. Also, does Cermark stick to brass?

And please don't tell me to buy a YAG or something, that's not happening! hahaha

Thanks, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 08-01-2009 at 2:32 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Does anyone here know how to punch small shapes through thin metal like brass shim stock?
    Hi Dee,

Not sure if I am allowed to self-promote on the group so I will email as well.

The brass sheet you refer to is called shim-stock and it is rolled to thickness and therefore work hardened. It can be annealed by heating and cooling slowly or quenching in water. Seems a paradox I know, but that's the way it is.

You will need metal punches and die plates. I can make these for you if you give me dimensioned details of the shapes you want.

Harbor Freight have one for doing round holes and of you check this link it will give you an idea of the die plate set up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95547

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91510

Both are limited by the throat depth but I can make the plate type any size you like within reason. The second type is more versatile but more limited on throat depth.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Thanks Dave, I'm going to email you now.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

You can get punches from Wagner die supply here http://www.wagnerdiesupply.com/punches.html or Pace Punches or Ameriken.

You could ask them to squeeze one into a teardrop or whatever if it doesn't have to be really precise. Custom shapes are expensive from these guys though. I agree with Dave that you'll have to cut against metal, and even so the edges may roll-under a little bit.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Dee

Depending on how many you have to do you can use a drill press and a file to shape the holes. If you have a lot to do this method isn't worth the effort.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Margaret - thanks, that's a possible source... I wish they'd show prices on their website though.

Mike - I'd like to get away with as little handwork as possible. Not so much laziness, but arthritis. And I'm looking at 100 or so. But thanks, that is a usable suggestion if I need to make one of something.

I've gotten a few leads on people who have inductrial lasers and am still looking for a waterjet person. I have no idea how much this kind of work goes for, so I need to do research!

thanks, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Well, I don't know what size punch you need, but anything up to .5" diameter should be around $6.00 for a round punch if I remember right. If you have a local steel rule die maker you could check with them, too. They can bend rule and weld it for you although they probably have a minimum charge. My local die maker has a $50 minimum.
    Margaret Turco

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Turco View Post
    They can bend rule and weld it for you
    Margaret I do not think it will be that simple. To cut brass sheet cleanly you need a punch and a die. As in, a Male-punch the shape you want to cut out and a Female-Die in that same shape but a few thousandths of an inch bigger all round. Both punch and die need to be hardened, tempered and ground to a sharp square cutting edge.

Those two parts then need to be held in a die-set or something similar to the second HF item I mentioned above. I have designed and made many hundreds of such dies as a toolmaker in my early work years. Round holes are easy as you can see from the HF links I gave above.

I really cannot see a steel rule punch cutting 0.012" thick work hardened shim brass for very long. My guess would be 2 or 3 pieces then it would need sharpening again.

Dee's best bet is for water jet or 1000+W CO2 laser for that quantity as a die set would be able to cut many hundreds of thousands of parts and cost a bucket of money to make.
    Dave J

I agree Dave but thought it worth mentioning since Dee is only making 100 or so. In fact, Dee, I should have asked if you are making teardrop shaped holes in something, or you're trying to get the teardrop shaped pieces....
    Margaret Turco

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Dee's best bet is for water jet or 1000+W CO2 laser for that quantity as a die set would be able to cut many hundreds of thousands of parts and cost a bucket of money to make.
    Or maybe have the die itself cut using a waterjet?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Or maybe have the die itself cut using a waterjet?
    The internal shape of the die is not just a straight hole it has clearance about 1/16" down so it would still need some machining from the back. If you are machining the back-draw, you might as well go that last 1/16" and machine it all.

You also need the punch and that would be a difficult thing for water jet.

No quick way around it other than big laser or water jet for the quantities IMHO.
    Dave J

Thinking slightly outside the box, how about chemical etching?

It is quite an economical way of getting small thin parts made and you could get a range of shapes all done at the same time.

Just a thought....

Dee, try contacting Jack Harper, he's on here once in a while. He did a great job of water jet cutting some parts for me a while back.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robison View Post
    Dee, try contacting Jack Harper, he's on here once in a while. He did a great job of water jet cutting some parts for me a while back.
    Thanks Brian, I sent him an email yesterday. I also found a place in Buffalo that might be able to help me.

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Thanks Brian, I sent him an email yesterday. I also found a place in Buffalo that might be able to help me.

dee
    Dee - I did not receive a PM or email, but I would be happy to help, just PM me your details and I will look it over.
    Jack