Thread: '92 Unisaw versee '99 Platinum Unisaw

'92 Unisaw versee '99 Platinum Unisaw

I bought a new Unisaw in 1992 with a Marathon motor. It has worked well with no issues for years now (52" commercial Biesemeyer fence and all). A few weeks ago I was at an estate sale and as a results am now the proud owner of a 1999 Platinum edition Unisaw with a lot of extras like the Biesemeyer overhead blade guard, Delta out feed table etc. It has an Emerson industrial motor. It runs as smooth as the 92 Marithon. I am not able to keep both saws because of space. Should I move the Biesemeyer overhead guard to the old saw or keep the newer saw intact??? I respect the opinions that I have read here frequently. so what do you think???

There are a few posts here with pics of guys bolting two saws side by side and using the 52" fence. Lots of cast iron working space. This would negate the space issue. Then you could set up each saw for different tasks.

TOdd

Its a tossup in my book. Both saws are pretty much equal in terms of quality and neither is close to being worn out if that is a concern. If you sell one, which will move faster and bring more cash? Its easy enough to move the overarm guard so figure on selling either without it. Probably the newer saw will sell quicker, but that is just my opinion. Good luck.

If it was me I'd keep the saw I bought new, as you know it's condition and what's been done to it.
    The other saw may be newer but you don't really know how it was treated. Now granted these are very basic saws with not a lot of things to go wrong. And most of the things that would wear out from use are easily replaceable.
    OK actually to be honest I'd keep em' both, and that's what I did in my own shop

good luck,
    JeffD