Thread: Finishing white cedar

Finishing white cedar

A relative has an old cottage in northern Michigan that is paneled in white cedar. Although it is stained the wood still has a wonderful aroma after all these years (the cottage was probably built in the 20's). My wife now wants to recreate the paneling, and especially the scent, in a nearby cottage that we purchased a few years ago. She also wants it stained darker than the natural wood.

So... what should I use and what should I avoid in staining our imagined white cedar interior without losing the freshness of the scent? I can do the carpentry easily enough but don't have a lot of experience with finishing. I know enough to keep the paint stains away as well as the polyurethanes, I suppose. What are the other options? Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Hmmm....
    Tough one/tall order - since anyting that will seal and protect/color the wood will probably seal in the smell.

Since one of the features of shellac is it's ability to seal and kill odors, you can cross that off the list of possibles.

Are the planks smooth or rough?

They're finished smooth. There is a slight sheen to the surface but it's difficult to tell what's on there. Whatever it is I don't think it's been refinished in all these years.

You can try mixing your own stain.

Cedar Oil is available that can be used as the carrier/binder. Art supply stores will have pure ground in oil colors.
    You'll also need some drier.

I wouldn't try for any more than a shade or two difference though.