Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes You Have To Sit Back In Awe

Sometimes You Have To Sit Back In Awe

I'm in awe of all the Festool stuff he has.

I hesitate to think any bit of that would be possible without festool

I would trade every one of those Festool gold bars for his clamps. Those Jorg'y Ibeams will put any clamp other clamp to shame.

Nice to see an artist at work but the Festool part is a waste to me. Hopefully he got to keep them or got a bunch for free.

Love the way he started with the live edge boards but I suspect expansion and contraction issues with 3-4 ft of hardwood glued to plywood or mdf as a substrate. I would never do that.

I like the design of the bed and how he has shaped the wood but his understanding of wood is a little lacking.
    I would love to see what it looks like in a few years. All that solid wood is gonna want to move and it is glued down to the ply.
    Tom

Cool bed, great process, real artist......very thick veneer. I'm worried for the longevity of it. Feels like a festool add, but I like festool adds. Inspirational. Thanks for sharing that.

Just found a use for my next empty mustard bottle!

PS. +1 on the I beam clamp comment.

Drool... Even my wife was in awe of his Festool.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    Drool... Even my wife was in awe of his Festool.
    My wife couldn't care less about tool value. I use it to my advantage when sneaking something new into my shop.

John

Glad some of you found fault with the design plan. I didn't pick up on that until it was pointed out. Maybe the bed was only built for one or two years use. Good workmanship though.

I like the bed but I like the soundtrack better. can anybody figure out the last name?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Cool video, I really like the project. Definitely a Festool commercial, but I happen to like Festool.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I liked how he jointed the boards along grain lines, not easy but it really added a lot of character. But when he was using the RO 125 with the pad on its edge, I was thinking, "And this is a Festool featured video?" I have the same sander and Festool recommends keeping the pad flat on the surface so it surprised me that they would show "improper" use of their tools. But when I saw the mitered corner view I realized he had followed the grain to dish the wood. I love out of the box thinking.

Andy, the music is by Andrew Barefoot. He has some tunes on MySpace.

I don't know what species of wood he glued to the MDF substrate but I tried it with a 1/2" red oak panel and after about a year the oak developed open cracks that show most of the year. Perhaps he built in some expansion joint into the glue lines? I didn't notice any, or maybe the cracks that will develop are a design 'feature'.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I hesitate to think any bit of that would be possible without festool

I would trade every one of those Festool gold bars for his clamps. Those Jorg'y Ibeams will put any clamp other clamp to shame.

Nice to see an artist at work but the Festool part is a waste to me. Hopefully he got to keep them or got a bunch for free.
    I've got 2 of those Jorgensen I-Beam clamps. I rarely use them. They're easily capable of crushing the project. I'll stick with my K-Bodies.

I'm sure there's a joke here - of course this bed could be built with tools other than those made by Festool. In some cases maybe not as easily, but it'd get done. I like some of his ideas. I can see myself trying them out.