Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your table saw sleds?

Question How do you store your table saw sleds?

Hello everyone. I'm a beginner in woodworking and just bought my first home (and then promptly converted half the unfinished basement into a spacious woodworking shop).

I have a cabinet table saw and have made several sleds for them over the last few months. Frustratingly, several of these sleds have warped over time as I haven't come up with a suitable way to store them when not in use. Perhaps my construction technique or materials are the limiting factor - but still - I'm interested to hear or see how SMC folks store their sleds (or any large jigs really).

Thanks!
    -Chris

I store mine on the floor against the corner of the shop and it hasn't warped. Am curious what materials you're using.

Mine is a large one, and it drives me crazy where to store it. It's also heavy, so it's a pain to lug into place.
    I keep trying to get my head around a way to lower it from the ceiling, but I haven't sorted it out yet.

The smaller ones I put in cabinets. I've never had one warp (they're all MDF, though, if that's relevant.)

And this is in S. Florida, so humidity is always absurdly high.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Dont have any table saw sleds but all my jigs and fixtures get a hole and are hung on the wall but our shop has 10' ceilings so there is plenty of room.

For each of my two largest sleds, I drilled a pair of holes in the bases, and screwed a pair of screws into the wall way up high in an otherwise unusable space over a doorway. I flip the sleds up over my head and hang them from those screws. Some guide lines drawn in Sharpie help me position them and find the screws before my arms give out... Other, smaller sleds are just sort of piled up in a space under a small table that holds my disc sander.

A few of the ones that have warped were made with birch plywood (maybe 1/2") with 2x6 rails. The one dado sled that I made with MDF doesn't warp (and I'm planning on using that again in the future).

Unfortunately my basement ceiling height is too low (so hanging them up isn't a very accessible option). I think that hanging them from the wall is probably the best bet - and the two drilled holes idea makes some sense for this application.

Nail/screw in the wall...appropriately-placed hole in the sled if needed...hang it. All my sleds are MDF or plywood...no warping issues. I could see hard/soft woods warping. MDF can move so it is best to seal it with some cheap poly. Cheap plywood can warp, too. Cheap plywood may also stay quite flat.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by chris renfrew View Post
    A few of the ones that have warped were made with birch plywood (maybe 1/2") with 2x6 rails.
    As in 2x6 lumber from the home center?
    -Dan

Mine sits on a shelf under the TS. I cut dados into the shelf to clear the runners and allow the sled to sit flat. No problems with warping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

i hang my 30" X 40" sled under the left side extension wing of my RAS. the pic below shows it in the background, just to the left of the foreground blade guard DC hose. the extension wing has an extension cord on it. two fixed cleats beneath the wing and two home made latches secure the CC sled in it's stowed position. the TS with the blade guard dust collector attached to it easily stores under the stowed CC sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Dont have any table saw sleds but all my jigs and fixtures get a hole and are hung on the wall but our shop has 10' ceilings so there is plenty of room.
    I use Mark's method. Drill a couple holes and hang on long lag screws. I also have 10' ceilings.

Blog Entries
    Shamefully. If I ever do build a proper outfeed table I will try to factor sled storage into it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I store two sleds on the side of a mobile cabinet in my shop. They don't increase the footprint of the mobile base and it has been a very workable solution. My super sled simply stays on the table saw in storage and I stand it on the floor temporarily when not in use. BTW, I like to use MDO plywood (sign board) for the base as it is extremely stable.

IMGP5966.jpgSled storage.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 05-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I hang the bigger one on the end of the outfeed table, under the table lip where it takes up little or no space. I put the smaller one inside the big one.

Another answer is to consider using a sliding table attachment. I tossed the sleds 25 years ago and the sliding table takes less room, is super reliable, and permanent. It is also always ready to use instantly.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.9 KB, 118 views)