Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Woodworking Apps

iPhone Woodworking Apps

Just got an iPhone and it's the most incredible electronic device I've ever seen. The interface and email and so forth are fantastic, but what really distinguishes the iPhone are the incredible applications people have developed, everything from GPS-based subway directions to an application that identifies music on the radio to a bird-watching app where you can hear the bird's song (I'm not a bird-watcher, but one of my partners is and showed it to me).

Which is the point of this thread. The applications available for the iPhone are so amazingly cool and productive, I'm wondering, has anyone found any great woodworking apps? I've found just a couple, one for calculating board feet quickly and another for estimating, but are there others?

I can't think of what a great woodworking app would do or look like, but that's the point with the iPhone apps - I am constantly amazed at the great ideas other people come up with.

No apps but some of the wood working pod casts are really good. Check out the wood wisperer
    -=Jason=-

The best iphone app for woodworking would be the one that turns it off and lets you get in the shop faster.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

There are a few like Icarpenter...but the best app is Pandora. It gives you the ability to create personal radio stations that reflect a particular type of music by plugging in your favorite artist. www.pandora.com

And YES Mike...and you can use it in your shop.
    I have the Bose Ipod SoundDock Portable for when I'm doing stuff quietly...or the sound damping earplugs when machinery is in use.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

There's a level application, http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/09/five-iphone-app/ that link also has a hammer application, but it's not optimal.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Sirius Satellite Radio aplication. I love it

Let's see . . . woodworking iPhone aps . . . O yes! Try LoseIt! It's the neatest (free) ap that helps you lose weight. How does this relate to woodworking? I can now get my Kelly Mehler woodworking apron on and over my once bulging belly! And, I can bend over and reach the floor to pick up dropped dominoes.

Wish List Aps:

1] iPhone Optimizer for laying out pieces from 4x8 ply panels.

2] an iPhone version of the program I have for calculating the sizes of five-piece panel door parts.

3] calculator for adding/subtracting fractional sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    Let's see . . . woodworking iPhone aps . . . O yes! Try LoseIt! It's the neatest (free) ap that helps you lose weight. How does this relate to woodworking? I can now get my Kelly Mehler woodworking apron on and over my once bulging belly! And, I can bend over and reach the floor to pick up dropped dominoes.

Wish List Aps:

1] iPhone Optimizer for laying out pieces from 4x8 ply panels.

2] an iPhone version of the program I have for calculating the sizes of five-piece panel door parts.

3] calculator for adding/subtracting fractional sizes.
    For 3] http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...316961758&mt=8

Not necessarily an endorsement as I haven't tried it yet. But, there's an app for that.

Kris

Thanks Kris. I'll give that fractional conversion ap a try.

Anybody tried the Blackberry 8900? I'd think you could put Cutlist on one of the Windows phones. No iphone service out here, so having never tried an iphone, how would you guys that have tried both compare them? I know that the apps that have been mentioned are also available for the Blackberry.

Forgot about Mp3 portion. I think we need the ITape.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Two Hands Needed for Woodworking!!

IMO far too many of today's generation function at a level around 50% less than previous generations, due largely to that cellphone implanted in one hand! Tantamount to being an amputee or at least having one hand tied behind their back.

Also, IMO one little box cannot do it all as well as several small boxes! I still use the old wireless Dell laptop for email, SMC (of course!) and other woodworking apps. I authored my own program in Microsoft Excel to calculate cabinet carcasses, faceframes, drawers, and raised panel doors. It prints everything except shop drawings. I'm not that *swuft*! But, I know those in my head by heart!

I carry a ProjectCalc Plus in the left bib of my overalls that does any offhand shop calculation needed. My archaic Razr phone is in the right bib pocket--for making and receiving Phone Calls! My 60 Gig iPod (41 Gig of mp3s) can be slipped into the cradle of a FM broadcaster. My Music emminates wirelessly, from either ear protector/headphones, or the old Sony boombox!

I listen to My Music all I want, hands-free!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 08-04-2009 at 6:07 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

No comparison. I switched from Blackberry to iPhone and it's night and day.

The iPhone, or devices that mimic the iPhone's capabilities, are the future. We're in the post-personal computer world.

Example. You know those "frequent shopper" tags you get at lots of stores, with a little bar code that gives you discounts? There's an app for the iPhone that allows you to download those bar codes, meaning you don't have to carry around or fuss with the tags.

I imagine there will soon be an app to replace your plastic credit card, your driver's license, your car registration.

I bought a Hewlett Packard 12C financial calculator for $15 on the iPhone that replaces my actual HP 12C, which cost a lot more. There's a new $69 application that replaces my $350 car GPS system.

I'm a history buff, and my iPhone now contains hundreds of the most important documents in American history, from the Magna Carta to Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech to every inaugural address of every President.

To check the weather forecast or last night's Philly's game, I use my iPhone even when I'm sitting here in front of my computer because it's faster and easier.

My wife and I went to New York City on Sunday via public transportation and we didn't even have to take directions because everything's available on the iPhone, and the iPhone knows where you are.

I can find the cheapest gas station in my area at any time, constantly updated by other users buying gas.

Many of the apps are absolutely genius. And more flood into the market every week!

That's why I asked about woodworking applications. Wood identification? Ideal angles for planing different wood species? Downloadable plans for jigs? I'm eager for the geniuses out there to surprise us all.

I'd like to see the i-board stretcher application

Mark, I've been through a couple generations of Blackberries now, and the new Curve, not the 8300, is way better then the old one. That big screen on the iphone looks good.

That aside though, I actually found apps on the Blackberry Appworld to do most of the things that you described. Pretty clever stuff out there! I would like to see a cutlist app though.