Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Woodworking Apps

I downloaded the Pandora app last night. It's terrific.

there is a level application, but I am protective of my iphone and wouldn't touch it when I am using things in my shop. just too dusty.

try mobileme. you can sychinize all your outlook calandars and contacts on any PC with your iphone. Any changes on one calandar is reflected on all devices. You can also find your iphone by GPS when you loose it and send it a message for a person to return it or erase all your data on the phone so noone can access it. There is a 60 day free trial. I've tried the lost function, it's cool. I might just slip my iphone into my wife's purse to see what store she is shopping at. Hopefully Lowe's or Home depot

There are some great bar code reading aps out there that allow you to take a picture of or type in the upc and find online prices and reviews. The one I've used is pic2shop. It seems to work pretty well.

As for internet radio, give Stitcher a try. Unlike Pandora, Stitcher allows you to pick news and talk radio in addition to music. I can even get some of my favorite NPR programs.

Talking

how 'bout a built-in plane blade so you can use the iphone to check grain and figure at the lumberyard........

I have the crackberry works supplies me one. I have a personal i phone. I-phone wins for over all convience and the amount you can do with it fast. Blackberry wins for busness basically because of the keyboard and the push (instant) email. Apple can't get this right!

Blackberry:
    Better faster email by far

Iphone 3gs:
    More apps
    Better Camera, real autofocus, enough resulation and focus to read bar codes (this is the only phone to date that can do it)
    Better intragration with bluetooth, wifi and it's envirnment, Thinner
    GPS is awesome, real compass, etc.

Pandora is great I have a doc for my iphone in the shop and that is what I listen to.
    -=Jason=-

Jason-

It may be dependent upon where you are in terms of coverage strength a what your email server interface is. I use my iPhone to get emails off a work exchange server as well as a mail server for my domain hosted over at enom. Mostly I'm in the 3G coverage area and I've never had a problem with delayed email.

As far as the keyboard goes, I can type as fast on my iPhone as I ever managed on a blackberry or Q. That is not blazing fast, mind you. But, their algorithms work pretty well--even better now that I can go landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Roderick View Post
    You know those "frequent shopper" tags you get at lots of stores, with a little bar code that gives you discounts? There's an app for the iPhone that allows you to download those bar codes, meaning you don't have to carry around or fuss with the tags.
    I wouldn't count on it. I had a confirmation email from a conference w/a scannable bar code and I thought it would be great to hold the iPhone up to the scanner--didn't work. I've heard others have had issues with discount cards as well. I can't vouch for that, considering I find my existing solution (just giving them my phone number) a lot easier.

FracCalc not bad

Kris Koenig's post (above) with the link to FracCalc -- Thanks, Kris.

it's a free app, and it works reasonably well. Just be aware that to enter 3/4, you press 3, then the OVER key, and the 4.

If you add a string of fractions you get a fraction as the answer even if the value is greater than 1. So 3/4+3/4=3/2. That's correct, but it's not as useful as it wuld be if it read "1-1/2". My $10 fractional calculator reads 1-1/2, but then I paid ten bucks for it.
    Last edited by Mike Sandman; 08-05-2009 at 10:10 PM.

OT, but...

another very cool app for the iPhone is a wind gauge for sailors. You hold the thing up and the microphone determines the wind speed by the sound.

Carlos

Clinometer

This would be good for setting a saw blade angle, jointer fence etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sharpe View Post
    how 'bout a built-in plane blade so you can use the iphone to check grain and figure at the lumberyard........
    With the optional moisture meter app

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Coney View Post
    With the optional moisture meter app
    There already is one!

Phone stops working == Very moist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stagg View Post
    There already is one!

Phone stops working == Very moist.

How far do you have to shove the i-phone into the board before it registers a reading?

I've Got It!! ..heh heh!

How about a *BS* app, for the *very naive* !!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Anyone try this app? I just downloaded it and it is a nice little resource.

http://wordtwiddle.com/apps/idwood/index.html