Thread: My new clock

Smile My new clock

Just finished this recently for my stepson for a wedding present. Same type of case I built last year, but without a 'day of the month' hand in the movement, and a different face and hands too. Turned out very well. The maple has a nice grain to it and is very strong. The first picture is with the new clock next to the cherry version I made last year with the calendar movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrick, those are beautiful,,even better than store bought
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I love "School House" clocks! I've got intentions to build one that looks like my Grandmothers Seth Thomas as a present for my Mom.

Great job on both clocks!

Very nice! I have a "store bought" Regulator at my office, and it looks like garbage next to yours!

Nice pair of clocks Patrick.

How was it doing one for the second time?

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post

How was it doing one for the second time?
    This is the fourth project which I've repeated. Two different clock designs, a tavern mirror and a jewelry box. I enjoy this design and all the construction details, so it's a joy to build any time. I like the look of cherry more with this design however. The original project in WoodSmith used plain red oak, but I find something with tighter, more interesting grain produces a better clock. I'm sure I'll make another of these some day.

Very nice Patrick. You handled the grain well on the octagon which is not always the easiest thing to do when using maple as the main with it's eractic grain.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I love "School House" clocks!

Great job on both clocks!
    I fell in love with the style too. First saw a Rockler kit for the clock mechanism and saw their plans, but later found much more interesting plans online. Bought the old Woodsmith mag from eBay and built from there. The hardest part, is the offset from the clock face and getting the pendulum to clear the internal structure. I've got it down now tho!

Blog Entries
    Nice looking clocks. The Cherry has aged nicely.

I've made two of a similar design and had a lot of fun making them. I used my own designs and figured out a few things as I went along. I like the segmented octogon better than the flat boards that are cut in an octagonal shape, but they do require a closer fit up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute