Thread: JET mitersaw

JET mitersaw

Anyone have experience with the new JET 10" sliding miter saw? Local dealer have them. Priced in the neighborhood of other like saws.

FYI- I played with the new Makita saw at HD today. Good looking saw and nice features BUT......Had a lot of play when extended out. The $199 Ryobi next to it had WAY LESS play.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/whit...whitepaper.pdf

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Well I have done a little research.

Sears has the same 12" saw under the Craftsman brand. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Miter+Saws
    I looked up the mfg. code and it came back to Rexon. Not sure if that is good or not.
    http://www.rexon.net/index_1.htm
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'll just keep thinking out loud.

Looking at the saws I am convinced that the JET & Craftsman are the same saw as the Bosch. I have never seen a Bosch in person so can't say for sure but they look closely related.

Anyone own the Bosch and care to comment?
    Link to the JET below

http://content.jettools.com/whitepap...whitepaper.pdf
    - Rick Dale

- Rick Dale

Dave,
    There was quite a lengthy discussion over on WoodNet regarding the new found quality of the Craftsman tools. It seems that Sears is making quite the effort to rebrand themselves back into the middle-of-the-road pack. I don't think that anyone will ever purchase "the best" of any item from a Sears. But what exactly makes something "the best" anyway?

If you're convinced that these manufactures have all hit on the same design, that actually should make you feel quite good about the purchase! It's met 3 company's q&a requirements and likely only differ in very minor features from each other.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Davis View Post
    Dave,
    There was quite a lengthy discussion over on WoodNet regarding the new found quality of the Craftsman tools. It seems that Sears is making quite the effort to rebrand themselves back into the middle-of-the-road pack. I don't think that anyone will ever purchase "the best" of any item from a Sears. But what exactly makes something "the best" anyway?

If you're convinced that these manufactures have all hit on the same design, that actually should make you feel quite good about the purchase! It's met 3 company's q&a requirements and likely only differ in very minor features from each other.
    I am certain that the JET and Craftsman are the same.
    I was able to see some better photo's of the Bosch. I don't think it is the same saw but a very close relative. Some of the cast parts look the same but not all.
    - Rick Dale

I think that the Bosch got highest marks in a tool review in Popular Woodworking (I think). That was a couple of years ago.

I haven't been in to Sears all that recently, but I thought some of their tools were looking a little better. I have a zipcode saw, and the tools made by Orion were definitely better quality than usual.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.