Thread: Before and after a blade stabilizer

Before and after a blade stabilizer

I have a Ryobi BT3000 saw (go ahead and laugh) and primarily use thin kerf blades. I've been able to fine-tune the setup to the point where I have +/- .001" of runout right under the gullets on most all of my blades.

Still, I have noticed that some of the blades vibrate a little bit. The WWII blade to a lesser degree, the somewhat thinner Dewalt blades seem a little more prone.

I can see signs in my cut edges. Now, I know I'm nitpicking, but every once in a while when ripping plywood (so no wood tension issues) I'll hear a little "zing." And when I inspect the cut edge, you can see some swirling blade marks in that spot. It is almost the same as if I had stopped pushing the stock so I could adjust my hand placement. However, I never stopped even pressure on the stock.

I finally decided to purchase a blade stabilizer from Forrest. I purchased the 5" version, which still provides 2.5" of cutting height (plenty for 99% of what I do).

I mentioned on another forum that I could hear the difference. Someone asked if I could see the difference (a fair question).

So I created a little test: I used my sled to cut a piece of BB plywood that is approx. 7 or 8" wide. I then used a black marker to color the cut edge.

Next, I placed the wood back on the sled, and ran it into the blade five times. On the fifth pull back to the front of the saw, I paused for five seconds.

The top is the piece w/ no stabilizer in place, the bottom piece had the stabilizer in place.

Besides seeing that the piece cut w/ the stabilizer in place is "more black," I can also tell you that it is straighter, with fewer light gaps than the piece cut w/o the stabilizer.

I know the topic (whether a stabilizer is worth it or not) comes up here from time to time. I just thought this pic was a good demonstration of what one may expect should someone be on the fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 08-05-2009 at 10:29 PM.

thanks for the info Phil. I use a 12" dewalt blade on my uni when I need to cut something 3: thick and that thing viberates fairly bad...I had thought about stabilizers but never got one but now I think one will be on the short list...............again thanks
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Phil, I had the my BT3000 for over 15 years and it worked great for me. I only switched out when the new Sawstop PCS came out. BTW, the dust collection on the BT3000 is second to none.

Good info on the blade stabilizer.

Also count me as a satisfied BT3000 owner for a lot of years and I built a lot of things with it. I moved and built a new pole barn a couple of years ago. Then last year I moved a Sawstop ICS, 15" joiner and 8" planer into my new shop and built my kitchen cabinets. My goal was to pay for those tools and a bandsaw and drill press with what I saved building the kitchen cabinets. I ran out of money building the house and still need the bandsaw and drill press. My friend that I sold the BT3000 to is still using it. It did have some neat features.

I have a pair I use with an 8" carbide tipped blade to cut aluminum on my Craftsman table saw.

John