Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sawstop Salesman Trashed Grizzly G0661 and Jet Pro Shop

I'd take a thorough second look at the products the SawStop salesman trashed. They are probably as good or better than the SawStop he is selling and that is why he has to resort to competition bashing.

Best not to walk, but run from a product that is being promoted that way!

A long, long time ago I was taught never to speak poorly of the competition - it is better to speak of your products assets and what puts it above the field. Speaking poorly of the competition only reflects poorly upon you.
    Maurice

I re-read the original post- you said you went to a small independent shop- so was it a Sawstop Employee (as implied by the subject 'Sawstop Salesman') or was it the shop owner? A big difference to me. A small shop entrepreneur is very different from a paid SS employee.

It's poor form/lying either way, but trying to sell you a product he's going to make money on as a local businessman is what it sounds like. The 'competition' is anyone he's not going to make money on. (ie. I'm guessing he doesn't sell Grizz products).
    Where did I put that?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    DANG IT !! !! !!

Why didn't someone tell me about the "scheduled" bearing failures on my Griz ?? ?? ??

I've had it since 1995, and according to this, I am behind about 84 bearing replacements, give or take a dozen. I wonder if I can make it up by changing bearings EVERY month for the next 14 years. $HIT .. now I AM confuzzled !! !! !!

I have no use for any salesman that disparages the competition. If you cannot sell your product on it's merits you need to find another product or another job.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    DANG IT !! !! !!

Why didn't someone tell me about the "scheduled" bearing failures on my Griz ?? ?? ??

I've had it since 1995, and according to this, I am behind about 84 bearing replacements, give or take a dozen. I wonder if I can make it up by changing bearings EVERY month for the next 14 years. $HIT .. now I AM confuzzled !! !! !!
    +1
    I think I bought my 1023 in 95 also.

Can't afford all those bearings now.

While I don't care for these tactics, they are in fact a sales tactic. Bottom line, buy what you like. Of the couple of Grizzly tools I purchased one is still working and one I simply gave up on trying to get the bandsaw wheels to stay coplanar so the blade would stay on them. So really I guess it depends on the consumer. Oddly enough though the sales man should have known he's selling a saw to a bunch of people who will do their research with so many options out there. Be it Green, Yellow, White, blue-grey, or black. Our industry is no better than any other, there are a few gems out there but over all companies need to sell to stay in business.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Another good reason why I buy most of my tools on the net: I don't have to endure sales pitches/hype from a salesperson.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

This subject reminds me of the AC salesman we had here at the house last summer when we were looking at putting in central air. He has asked how many and who the other bidders were and then after completely trashing their work pratices and then their products, the biggest selling point he gave was how good the paint will hold up on the unit outside. Like if its broke and the house is 95 degrees I really give a crap about the paint, as long as it works I don't care if its solid rust.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    His comments, esp. about Grizzly, smack of desperation and/or complete misunderstanding about how machines work.
    Agreed. And how could he bash other machines he sells?

Oh...wait...he doesn't sell jet or grizzly??? Imagine my surprise........
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.