Thread: Finish Selection Tools

Finish Selection Tools

Hi there.

So... finishing is an area of my woodworking skills that I have basically ignored. I tend to use the same finish over and over because it's tried and true, and I haven't done much in terms of self education.

What I'm saying is that I'd consider myself a newbie when it comes to finishing. My question for you guys is whether you're aware of some kind of a questionnaire, decision tree, flow chart, etc that helps guide people through selecting the right finish...

I don't have a specific project in mind at this point. I guess I will be using my HVLP turbine sprayer to paint my kitchen cabinet doors white this weekend, but that's not specifically why I'm asking this.

Thanks for your help!

Peter

1. What look and feel do you want for the project? Gloss? Satin? In-the-wood?

2. Indoor or outdoor?

3. What hazards will it be exposed to while in use?

3a. What cleaners will be used to care for it? e.g Mirror frame and water-borne finish will be a problem; ammonia and water-borne finishes are not friends!

4. How easy is it to repair or remove the finish if needed?

5. How much maintenance do you want? Oil and/or wax finishes require constant care.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I read Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing". It is an amazing read. Highly recommend!

There's no RIGHT finish for any project. There are usually 2-3 ways to do it.

Equally important to the choice of finish is surface prep, coloring, and grain filling. All complete topics in their own right....

Thanks guys.

J. Scott- I don't have one specific project in mind- I was just asking the general question of how to think through the finishing options without having to understand all of the options to begin with.

Shawn, you're probably right- ultimately I just need to spend some time educating myself...

My list is general questions to answer. When you have the answers, then you will know what you want from the finish; then, selecting the finsh will be much easier.

e.g. jewlery box or bathroom cabinet.

1. satin finish for both, OK
    2. Both are indoor
    3. Hazards for clock none; for bathroom cabinets - wetness, humid, hair spray, windex, tile cleaner, finger nail polish and remover, hairdryer heat. etc...
    4. If it is damaged - clock what will damage it? Bathroom cabinets see above for what could go wrong...especially if you use the the wrong finish.
    5. Clock - do you want to rewax or re-oil it every 6 months or every year? (My answer, no thank you)
    bathroom cabinets how often would you want to rewax or re-oil them (My answer NEVER)

So now that we have some examples -

Clock - just about anything will be fine

Bathroom cabinets - Let's see wax and oil would be out IMHO.
    Water-borne finish would be out, Windex, Tilex & nail polish remover will destoy it.
    All Exterior finishes would be ruled out; they are too soft and they are LESS waterproof and LESS vaporproof than interior varnishes...
    So bathroom cabinets would get a quality non-poly varnish.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 08-26-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.