Thread: What to think about this saw

What to think about this saw

Hello.

I bidded on a saw, and after asked for a picture of the blade having doubts...

It looks like there is some 'pitting' on the blade. I'd like to get your opinion about it.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/...en/unnamed.jpg

Do you think it'll be usable or not. I mean if not, I can always use it to train myself to saw sharpening or use it for rough cutting anyway (with bigger teeth size), or change the blade size.
    Teeth height is about 2mm (according to the seller) and teeth ratio is about 6 tpi.

Thanks for your opinions.

There are plenty of saws out there in better condition. They are very common.

That looks pretty rough. It appears that it's been soaked in evaporust or some other rust remover. I can buy flea market Disstons for sharpening practice in that kind of shape for $5/ea in my neck of the woods (Northern IN). There may be some value if it's equipped with a nice Apple or other hardwood handle, I would probably pass on it as a user. YMMV.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Looks like it's been used to cut sand. I concur - there are plenty of good saws out there - let this one get painted with pretty barnyard scenes.

You guys confirmed what I was thinking. I cancelled the order and the seller, was nice to agree.

Now I must continue to look for another one. You don't find them here in France. At least they're rare. And the postage for a saw from USA is quite expensive. When you must pay 30$ to get a 15-40$ saw to get posted ... that makes you think twice.
    You're lucky because you can get them for cheap, as they're plenty in USA, and the shipping is not expensive ....

Well must search for a nice one, that's worth being shipped over here !
    Or if one member of the creek is travelling to Paris , he could bring one

Thanks.

My wife just got back from Paris. You should have spoken up sooner. I could have sent you a saw!

Unhappy

Hi thanks for the comments.

Too bad I missed this one George. It would be really nice if the occasion appears again, although I don't want to abuse from the member's kindness.
    I hope she liked it !

I'll continue to search for decents western type saws, a crosscut and a rip cut.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I would suggest you consider a Veritas dovetail saw. The price is not that much more than e-bay junk and it is right up there with the best saws. I cut crosscut with my LN rip saws all of the time. They do quite well crosscut.

If I'm going to pay $30 shipping cost. I want to know my purchase is a good one.

Are there no more good saws made in Europe?Does Ulmia make any now? (German),of Kunz? I have some older straight handled saws from them,and they served for many years as good dovetail saws. they have thin blades,and small teeth,and work very well.

It seems, that I should have said I was talking about a handsaw about 26" long. Not a backsaw.
    Sorry about that

I already own a veritas dovetail saw, and I'm very pleased with it. I also have 2 LN saws, a 14" rip tenon and a carcass saw crosscut.
    There both fine also, and I have another tenon saw, and old one, that i must recut to crosscut about the same size as the LN 14" tenon. This saw I inted to used is to cut joinery for big projects.

So I'm looking for a handsaw like disston d8, or atkins and all the like. Probably a ripcut 7tpi 26" and a crossuct about 10-12 tpi 22" or 24". That's what I'm looking at.

Kunz are really not great nowadays. Ulmia or ECE is fine, but they do make only bowsaw, which I don't feel comfortable with. Especially for cutting wide panels. But the quality is said to be still quite fine (cehck ie : http://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.htm)

The only brand available new over here is "Pax", and I don't know if they're good or not, I've read good things and bad things about them (check here : http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/i...id=PZ-HS303.XX or here - http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/...Pax_Range.html no pubs !)

Thank you for the replies.